Did I Give My Dog The Flu?

DSC_00331

Even though Sherman’s unexplained illness that he suffered from last month is water under the bridge I still think about it from time to time.

If we would of been given a definite diagnosis, I don’t think it would be an issue, but since no one really knows what happened I still wonder.

Now if you would of asked me when all this was going on if it was possible that Sherman had the flu I would of told you it’s not likely, despite the fact that my whole household was sick with the flu a few weeks prior and Sherman was often found sticking his nose in my face to check and make sure I was still alive while I rested on the couch, I still would of said it’s not likely.

Dogs can’t get the flu from humans, or so we have been told in the past.

However, veterinary researchers at Oregon State University and Iowa State University are investigating some rare cases of the transmission of diseases from humans to animals.

“Reverse zoonosis” , the transmission of an infectious disease from people to animals, is still poorly understood but has raised concern among some scientists and veterinarians, who want to raise awareness and prevent further flu transmission to pets.”

“It’s well known that new strains of influenza can evolve from animal populations such as pigs and birds and ultimately move into human populations, including the most recent influenza pandemic strain, H1N1. It’s less appreciated, experts say, that humans appear to have passed the H1N1 flu to cats and other animals, some of which have died of respiratory illness.”

“There are only a handful of known cases of this phenomenon and the public health implications of reverse zoonosis of the flu remain to be determined, but as a concern for veterinarians, it has raised troubling questions and so far, few answers.”

“The first recorded, probable case of fatal human-to-cat transmission of the pandemic H1N1 flu virus occurred in Oregon in 2009. Details were published in Veterinary Pathology, a professional journal. In that instance, a pet owner became severely ill with the flu and had to be hospitalized. While she was still in the hospital, her cat – an indoor cat with no exposure to other sick people, homes or wildlife – also died of pneumonia caused by an H1N1 infection.”

“Since then, researchers have identified a total of 13 cats and one dog with pandemic H1N1 infection in 2011 and 2012 that appeared to have come from humans. Pet ferrets have also been shown to be infected, and some died. All of the animals’ symptoms were similar to that of humans – they rapidly develop severe respiratory disease, stop eating and some die. Serological studies suggest there is far more exposure to the flu virus in cats and dogs than previously known.”

This is extremely interesting to me because Sherman rapidly developed severe respiratory symptoms without a known cause and at one time I did ask if there was anyway Sherman could of gotten sick from us and was told it was a very slim chance.

I wish, I wish, I wish I would of pursued this more at the time, but to be honest I just wanted Sherman better.

“The researchers are surveying flu transmission to household cat and dog populations, and suggest that people with influenza-like illness distance themselves from their pets. If a pet experiences respiratory disease or other illness following household exposure to someone with the influenza-like illness, the scientists encourage them to take the pet to a veterinarian for testing and treatment.”

“The primary concern in “reverse zoonosis,” as in evolving flu viruses in more traditional hosts such as birds and swine, is that in any new movement of a virus from one species to another, the virus might mutate into a more virulent, harmful or easily transmissible form.

“All viruses can mutate, but the influenza virus raises special concern because it can change whole segments of its viral sequence fairly easily.”

So did I pass along the flu to Sherman?

According to my vet, probably not.  The transmission phase of when we had the flu to when Sherman got sick was a bit too far apart and because pneumothorax was evident on the x-rays, it just isn’t likely.

But……………………………. my vet gave me an A- for creative thinking on this one.

39 Comments on Did I Give My Dog The Flu?

1. Kolchak, Felix & Jodi
    February 26, 2013 at 2:06 am (2 years ago)

I wondered this this week too! I was feeling vicious and under the weather and not two days later, Koly was feeling a little low. NEither of us was really sick, just sluggish and run down. I think we both just need some TLC. I hope everyone at your house is feeling better!!

February 26, 2013 at 7:13 am (2 years ago)

I hope everyone at your house is feeling better too Jodi!

2. Jana Rade
    February 26, 2013 at 3:00 am (2 years ago)

Yes, it is possible to give our dogs some types of the flu, but I can’t see how it would have caused pneumothorax …?

February 26, 2013 at 7:10 am (2 years ago)

Which is exactly what my vet said Jana:) and then I said maybe he fell going up the steps because he was lethargic from the flu:)) Lol! My overactive imagination gets the best of me sometimes:)) I know though that he didn’t have the flu, just an interesting concept, for me.

3. emma
    February 26, 2013 at 7:27 am (2 years ago)

I do think that on rare occasions our pets can get sick from us but rare occasions. They do get sick from each other, though. When we brought home our 2 last cats from the Humane Society, they both got sick, so did our third cat and both dogs…just like kids, spread like wildfire!

February 26, 2013 at 11:18 pm (2 years ago)

You are so right Emma! There are are so many diseases that can be spread from species to species very fast!

4. melF
    February 26, 2013 at 7:43 am (2 years ago)

Wow! I commented on your FB page before reading your post. I never expected to learn about reverse zoonosis! Freaky!

Very interesting piece Jen. I was always of the belief that animals could not get sick from us. I wonder if scientists think incidences of zoonosis is increasing or if they just have a higher awareness ad evidence of it?

You certainly gave me something to think about! So glad your vet discounted this theory in regards to Sherman. :)

February 26, 2013 at 11:23 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Mel! I found it really interesting too and when I was talking to the vet about this she said that our pets can get strep from us too, there was another one too and I can’t remember it right now.

I would have to say that they have a higher awareness of reverse zoonosis due to the viruses that are present nowadays but they need a lot more evidence to really prove it. Does that make sense?

5. Lisa, Abigal and Finnegan
    February 26, 2013 at 8:04 am (2 years ago)

Hello, wowsie, I have always wondered if we can get our pets sick! It does seem to me thought that pets pick up on our psychological state (stressed,sad, excited etc) and my kitties even seem to mimic mine…..
    Love your blog, we follow each other on Twitter and Triberr.
    @KritterKondo
    @lisaillman
    I will be back soon!
    Have a good week.
    Lisa (Furless Feeder)
    Abigail (9 year old Tabby Cat)
    Finnegan (11 month old kitten “hell on paws”)

February 26, 2013 at 11:24 pm (2 years ago)

This is so true Lisa, good point and it;s very nice to meet you and your gang!

February 26, 2013 at 11:26 pm (2 years ago)

Isn’t it though?!

6. Taryn
    February 26, 2013 at 8:42 am (2 years ago)

I’m glad it is very rare! With how much dogs use their noses and mouths to experience the world, they would catch a lot of stuff from us! Really it’s amazing they stay as healthy as they do, all things considered!

February 26, 2013 at 11:27 pm (2 years ago)

From us and from other things too! It is amazing that they are so resilient!

February 26, 2013 at 8:42 am (2 years ago)

Hey, ya just never know, right?

February 26, 2013 at 11:27 pm (2 years ago)

Exactly!

8. SUGAR: Golden Woofs
    February 26, 2013 at 10:06 am (2 years ago)

Woof! Woof! Many says it’s under severe certain circumstance only. Dogs are just compassionate. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

February 26, 2013 at 11:29 pm (2 years ago)

I think, recently at least, it might happen more than we think, but that is just my opinion.

9. Dawn
    February 26, 2013 at 10:30 am (2 years ago)

I agree that it is probably exceedingly rare, but still possible. After all, the flu develops new strains ever year which means it is continuously mutating. Could it have mutated to affect the dog?

February 26, 2013 at 11:31 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Dawn! I think it happens more than we think, but maybe dogs don’t show it like humans? I don’t know, maybe:))

February 26, 2013 at 11:29 am (2 years ago)

We find your “overactive imagination” to be quite entertaining. Also glad to see another one who has that affliction.

February 26, 2013 at 11:32 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Jan, you always make me feel less “crazy”:)))

February 26, 2013 at 11:32 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Roxy! Sherman is fine now, water under the bridge, I’m the one who keeps thinking about it!

11. Elyse and Riley
    February 26, 2013 at 11:53 am (2 years ago)

Glad Sherman is better. I laughed when you said the vet gave you an A for creativity!! :)

February 26, 2013 at 11:33 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Elyse! It’s better than the D she gave me last week:))

February 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm (2 years ago)

We kinda believe we could get the human sickies. Good info
    Benny & Lily

February 26, 2013 at 11:33 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Benny and Lily!

February 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm (2 years ago)

I had no idea this was even possible! But now I know you can bet I’ll be keeping my distance when I am feeling under the weather.

Great post Jenny Jugs!

February 26, 2013 at 11:30 pm (2 years ago)

I should of blocked you from seeing this post, lol:)))

14. Corbin
    February 26, 2013 at 4:06 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve often wondered about dogs catching a human cold. Adam and I were both sick with a cold, and a few days later, Corbin developed a cough. I’m sure it was just a conscience, but the thought has crossed my mind!
    -Corbin’s momma, Jenn

February 26, 2013 at 11:34 pm (2 years ago)

Hope you, Corbin and Adam are feeling better!I bet Corbin was being sympathetic for you:))

February 26, 2013 at 4:58 pm (2 years ago)

I accidentally wrote a post touching on this awhile back. It makes sense. But my question is, do you treat your dog’s symptoms the way you treat your own? Humidifier, Vicks, chicken broth and plenty of water?

February 26, 2013 at 11:35 pm (2 years ago)

Accidentally? I have heard the vet recommend a humidifier before for certain things but never Vicks:)

February 26, 2013 at 11:36 pm (2 years ago)

Oops, didn’t mean to scare you! Just food for thought:))

February 26, 2013 at 8:34 pm (2 years ago)

Yikes! Considering how often I’m exposed to the flu at work, the idea that I could give it to the dogs scares me a bit. I hope that Sherman’s feeling a lot better soon!

February 26, 2013 at 11:37 pm (2 years ago)

It is something to think about and really something I didn’t understand until I read about it a few weeks and started asking questions.

Sherman’s fine, back to his normal self:))

17. Pamela | Something Wagging This Way Comes
    February 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm (2 years ago)

I’d also wonder if the stress of everyone in the house being sick would affect how a dog feels. After all, diarrhea and a low mood are stress responses in dogs as well as common in some strains of flu.