Introducing the AKC GoodDog! HelplineSM. #AKCDoglover

DSC_05431Sherman and Leroy are pretty good dogs.

Actually, they are very good dogs.

They get a lot of social interaction and it always makes me so proud when we are out walking and someone compliments me on how well behaved they are.

That didn’t just come naturally, we worked hard together as a team to get there and some days were more trying than others and we still have some work to do because everyday is different and as we grow and our lives change we are faced with new obstacles.

For instance, this Fall Leroy and I plan to start taking new and exciting adventures out on the trails and since this is going to be a new experience for both of us, I know we have some work to do to make this an enjoyable experience for both of us.

Some of the things that I know we are going to need to work on are:

• Pulling on the leash. When he’s excited he pulls.
  • His wait command. He’s normally very good at this when we are on our walks but not so much when we are in a new place.
  • Focusing. He gets so anxious to explore a new place that he loses focus on me and its often a downward spiral from there.
  • Leave it. Another command that he very good at in normal circumstances but one that he totally will ignore because he has lost focus. This is an important one because I know we’ll encounter several things that he will be curious about but that he will have to leave alone.
  • Stay. Once again, another command that he is extremely good at, but not so much when he is excited. I’m going to need him to stay and listen so that I can take pictures.

So as you can see we will have a lot of things to work on over the next few months which is why I’m super excited that I will have the chance to get some advice from the experts at the AKC to help us.

The AKC has just launched it’s new AKC GoodDog!! HelplineSM.

AKC shep

This Helpline is a live telephone service designed to help all dog owners get in tune with their pet’s behavior. The professional dog trainers are there to help you understand what your dog’s actions signify as well as advise you on how to get the desired response.

What you get with the service:

• A toll-free number
  • Knowledgeable trainers
  • Unlimited number of calls for the life of your dog

What will it cost:

• One-time fee of $79.99
  • * Any discount will be applied at checkout.

When you can call?:

• 9 A.M. to 9 P.M. (EST) Monday-Friday
  • Noon to 6 P.M. (EST) Saturdays

I think that’s a pretty good thing! How about you? If you had a professional dog trainer at your fingertips what areas of dog training would you need assistance with?

If you’d like to learn more about the AKC GoodDog! HelplineSM you can visit them on Facebook, or Twitter or….join us on a live Twitter chat tomorrow (9/10) from 8-10pm (EDT) where the AKC, BlogPaws and six pet bloggers will be talking about the Helpline. Look for #BlogPawsChat to follow along or join in on the discussion.

• Disclosure:I am blogging on behalf of BlogPaws Pet Blogger Network  and the AKC. I received compensation for my time from the AKC for sharing my views in this post, but the views expressed here are solely mine.

37 Comments on Introducing the AKC GoodDog! HelplineSM. #AKCDoglover

1. tylersat99
    September 9, 2013 at 2:21 am (8 months ago)

That sounds great Jen I know you and Leroy will love it (falls to the ground and all). I love it enough to put up with all the bugs I hate and the girls love it enough to follow every command. We have a lot of different ones for nature walks than in everyday life. Really good smells can interrupt their focus easily :)
    tylersat99 recently posted…Black and White Sunday – SqueakerMy Profile

September 9, 2013 at 10:04 am (8 months ago)

Lol. I know. It is definitely going to be quite the adventure for Leroy and I. I an only the imagine the situations we will get ourselves in :)

Hopefully though, once we get into a routine, it will all be very relaxing!

2. 2browndawgs
    September 9, 2013 at 6:53 am (8 months ago)

If the trainer on the phone gives you the magic way to get a dog to stay, say when a bird is flushed or launched then I will sign up tomorrow. :)

Hope you enjoy your walks and can’t wait to see the pictures!
    2browndawgs recently posted…Monday Mischief-Where Did It Go?My Profile

September 9, 2013 at 10:05 am (8 months ago)

Lol. Now that would be great!

September 9, 2013 at 10:06 am (8 months ago)

That is totally understandable and hopefully I will be able to give you some honest feedback in the weeks to come as we try the new Helpline out!

3. Caren Gittleman
    September 9, 2013 at 8:22 am (8 months ago)

I thought it was a good idea til I saw the price :( but…now I just looked at that it is for an unlimited number of calls for the life of your dog so I guess that that is a GOOD thing!
    Caren Gittleman recently posted…Hugging it up for my favorite “Frenchie”!My Profile

September 9, 2013 at 10:07 am (8 months ago)

I agree Caren, It’s a pretty reasonable price for the life of a dog! I bet I”l get my use out of it in the first year!

September 9, 2013 at 8:23 am (8 months ago)

Hi Y’all,

Oh, that help line might help lots of dogs keep their happy homes…or make an unhappy dog happy!

Hawk aka BrownDog recently posted…Uh Oh!My Profile

September 9, 2013 at 10:08 am (8 months ago)

That is so true Hawk, it really good help a lot of dogs and their owners!

5. SlimDoggy (@MySlimDoggy)
    September 9, 2013 at 9:07 am (8 months ago)

Good luck with Leroy – those are he same types of problems i have with Jack…I know I just need to work with him more.

September 9, 2013 at 10:08 am (8 months ago)

I hear you. Practice makes me perfect.

September 9, 2013 at 2:42 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks Nicole!

6. Jen K
    September 9, 2013 at 10:44 am (8 months ago)

Good luck on the goals with Leroy – I know what you mean about diminished skills when excited – Alma can be the same way. Patience is definitely the hardest skill of them all (for us, not them) :)

I am tentatively optimistic about this helpline idea. Anything that encourages people to seek professional training help is a good think. However, I think it can be tough to assess behaviours over the phone because a trainer seeing things in person can really pick up on a lot the “average” owner won’t even know to look for. But there is some advice that is pretty general (make sure they get enough exercise, are on a good diet, puppies = supervision, supervision, supervision), and if they can refer to good local trainers, that’s a bonus.
    Jen K recently posted…Monday Mischief, 14th editionMy Profile

September 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm (8 months ago)

haha! That’s because I swear somewhere Leroy and Alma are related!

That is a really good point Jen and I will be sure to ask about that during our Twitter chat.

September 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks Roxy! We will be sure to let you know how things go with us and the Helpline.

7. Oz the Terrier
    September 9, 2013 at 11:27 am (8 months ago)

Wow! That sounds like a great service! I must admit, “focusing” is not my strong suit either especially when we are doing something for the first time.
    Oz the Terrier recently posted…Called Back from the WildMy Profile

September 9, 2013 at 2:45 pm (8 months ago)

I think that focusing may be something that is difficult for all of us at times, dogs and humans!

8. Pam | Words With Wieners
    September 9, 2013 at 2:06 pm (8 months ago)

The HelpLine sounds like a great idea, and I think a lot of people would use it. However, I’m not sure about the price. For the life of the dog, the price really isn’t bad. But I think they should offer other options for people who just want to try it out or may only call every once in a while. I would actually rather pay per call, so we’re just paying when we get service. Let us know how it goes if/when you call them for guidance!
    The wiens could use all kinds of training, but mostly I just want them to be reliable on sit, stay, wait, leave it, and of course recall. I think we need to do some one-on-one with a good trainer, because frankly, we suck at training them ;).
    Pam | Words With Wieners recently posted…Monday Mischief: This Dog is NutsMy Profile

September 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm (8 months ago)

Hi Pam!

Thanks for the feedback and you bring up some valid concerns about the cost of the service. I will be sure to keep you up to date on how this goes and how helpful it is to us.

September 9, 2013 at 3:34 pm (8 months ago)

It might be worth it if I had a “new” dog. Flash and Patches are eleven and do fine here and now. Some issues we have I already know are much more about me than about them. Paying 80 bucks won’t fix ME. Maybe with a puppy, though …
    Flea recently posted…Funny Bone Monday, 39My Profile

September 9, 2013 at 11:03 pm (8 months ago)

True enough Flea. I have the same issues with myself!

September 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm (8 months ago)

Let me know how well it works out

September 9, 2013 at 11:03 pm (8 months ago)

I will do that Cathy!

11. Sage
    September 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm (8 months ago)

Focusing is a really hard one—not something I excel in, especially if there’s a C.A.T or SQ involved. :)
    Sage recently posted…B&W Sunday: Deep ThoughtsMy Profile

September 9, 2013 at 11:04 pm (8 months ago)

Cats and squirrels are definitely an issue here too :)

September 9, 2013 at 11:04 pm (8 months ago)

We will definitely keep everyone posted on how this works for us!

September 9, 2013 at 10:31 pm (8 months ago)

We would never do it, but it does sound quite interesting
    Benny & Lily

September 9, 2013 at 11:05 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks Benny and Lily!

13. rubytheairedale
    September 9, 2013 at 11:28 pm (8 months ago)

Well, that is an interestin’ idea!!! Now, if I pee on Ma’s pillow in the middle of the night, will they help?? BOL Just kiddin’….I only do that in the mornings!
    Anyhu, not a bad idea, butts as a terrier with attitude, I’m not sure I like the idea of Ma gettin’ help with that!! I don’t thinks I’m gonna let her see this postie….gotta go
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥
    rubytheairedale recently posted…Black and White SundayMy Profile

14. MelF
    September 10, 2013 at 7:12 am (8 months ago)

Very cool. I had not heard about this before. My dogs are really good on most everything, but “stay” is the one word they seem not to be able to do. The one who needs it most is Jasper, but he hasn’t mastered it yet. Daisy cowers when I try to train this one, so I don’t, but I would love for her to learn it. Cupcake could use this one too.

Maybe the helpline. Hmmm…
    MelF recently posted…My vote for TV tonight? Hero Dogs of 9/11 on Animal PlanetMy Profile

15. snoopy@snoopysdogblog
    September 10, 2013 at 10:37 am (8 months ago)

This sounds like a great idea! I think my Mum would want to know how to get me to stop chasing Squirrels in the garden cos I keep hurting my leg! Doh!

Hope you’re having a fun day :)

Your pal Snoopy :)
    snoopy@snoopysdogblog recently posted…Monday Mischief – I’m an Uncle!My Profile

16. Heart Like A Dog (@HeartLikeADog)
    September 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm (7 months ago)

I wonder if they are positive based trainers or not? I wouldn’t want to pay money to have someone tell me to Alpha roll my dog. :-(