Why Buying Paper Towels In Bulk Is Important When You Have a Dog

DSC_0226

Paper towels are something that we use often in this house.

We use them for a variety of things, but we mostly use them for dog related stuff, such as wiping slobber off the windows, wiping slobber off the table, wiping slobber off the floor, wiping slobber off of guests, and we use them as needed for picking up dog vomit and sometimes even dog diarrhea.

My husband always tells me that I should buy paper towels in bulk because we will always use them, but I insist on ignoring him and I buy a roll or two each time I go shopping. On rare occasions I run out, but this is very rare and I feel that I’m a pretty good judge of our paper towel usage and if or if not we will run out during the week.

I totally miscalculated our paper towel usage last week and we ran out at the worst possible moment.

In my defense, I had no idea that Leroy was going to get sick and produce diarrhea and vomiting in the same day. The diarrhea wasn’t so bad but it was bad enough that it didn’t make it to the ground and instead made it onto Leroy’s ass and tail, which of course then got smashed on my floor when he sat down as I was trying to wipe him up.

Normally when this happens I would just rinse him off with the hose, but seeing as the temps have been so cold we were forced to shut the water off in the garage so the pipes wouldn’t freeze and of course, I needed the hose when my husband was at work and I’m not tall or coordinated enough to reach the valve that is in a very stupid place.

So that is where the first roll and a half of paper towels went. Wiping diarrhea off of Leroy’s ass and my floor. The other half of the roll went to cleaning up dog vomit later that night. Dog vomit that contained undigested food and slime. Slime that was so thick that it wouldn’t just absorb into the paper towel, instead it kept sliding off.

Gross.

As Leroy continued to puke throughout the night and my paper towel supply was quickly depleted, all I had left was dog towels, and when all the dog towels were used up I had to move onto the regular bath towels.

I have learned my lesson.

Dogs are unpredictable and I just need to suck it up and buy more paper towels so that I don’t find myself in this situation again.

69 Comments on Why Buying Paper Towels In Bulk Is Important When You Have a Dog

March 10, 2014 at 11:31 pm (8 months ago)

You are so right! It was the same sickening feeling and your mind starts racing about what you’re going to do! Lol!

1. retro rover
    March 10, 2014 at 6:20 am (8 months ago)

Poor Leroy! Bulk paper towels are a must for pet owners. I always buy the giant pack and I replace once down to five rolls

retro rover

March 10, 2014 at 11:31 pm (8 months ago)

Wow! It seems like I must step up paper towel game!

March 10, 2014 at 11:32 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you! He seems to be doing so much better this week!

March 10, 2014 at 11:32 pm (8 months ago)

It’s that darn long hair! One poop mishap and it’s all over!

March 10, 2014 at 8:42 am (8 months ago)

Ha ha ha! Thank you! When we go to the store and I say we need paper towels, my husband looks at me like I grew another head because I tell him we need more than one roll at a time! I will have to show him this post.
    houndstooth recently posted…Looking For SpringMy Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:33 pm (8 months ago)

Haha! Yes! You use me as an example for why you never want to run out of towels when you have dogs!

3. Rachael
    March 10, 2014 at 9:25 am (8 months ago)

I always find that to accompany the paper towel you should always have a bottle of carpet cleaner/fabric handy too. Even if you have wooden floors, you can be sure that your canine pride and joy will choose to do his spontaneous business on a rug or some sort of upholstery…
    Rachael recently posted…Well Done Brandon!My Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:34 pm (8 months ago)

yes, yes and yes! carpet cleaner is another must have more than 1 of!

4. Laika
    March 10, 2014 at 9:32 am (8 months ago)

Maybe it’s a good idea to buy paper towels in bulk. Hehehe. Have a great day.
    Laika recently posted…Stole.My Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:35 pm (8 months ago)

I believe you are correct! :)

March 10, 2014 at 9:49 am (8 months ago)

Leroy is having a tough winter – hope he’s okay. I had to laugh at your slime depiction…I think we all know just what you mean, or at least I do – gross is right.
    slimdoggy recently posted…SlimDoggy Jack’s Mischievious Week!My Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:36 pm (8 months ago)

He is having a tough winter. Poor guy, I feel bad for him and I hope this is the end of it!

6. carma Poodale
    March 10, 2014 at 10:08 am (8 months ago)

Poor Leroy. I sure hope he feels better this week.As for the paper towels , ma only buys in bulk just like she does toilet paper. We got to Sam’s Club and get the 24 roll packs of paper towels and 36 rolls of toilet paper. She keeps them all in closets, under the counter , sitting out in plain sight etc. Funny how we can have so many rolls of each but everytime she goes to grab the toilet paper or a paper towel its empty. Wonder if she will ever train the humans to replace those things.
    carma Poodale recently posted…Friday’s Fabulous Friends- Pawing It ForwardMy Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:37 pm (8 months ago)

If your Mom finds a way to train those humans to replace the empty toilet paper let me know! we have that same problem here!

7. Roxy the traveling dog
    March 10, 2014 at 10:19 am (8 months ago)

I always keep an extra roll on hand. Let me give you a tip for picking up vomit. Use your dust pan to scoop up the majority of it. Dump that in the toilet then you can use paper towels on whats left in the carpet.
    Roxy the traveling dog recently posted…Official meeter and greeterMy Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:38 pm (8 months ago)

I absolutely love that tip! Thank you for sharing! Brilliant and it would of saved me so many paper towels!

March 10, 2014 at 10:38 am (8 months ago)

Doesn’t sound to me like even buying bulk would have helped!

P.S. My Human buys bulk from the warehouse club and buys a couple of packages at a time. They live on a shelf in the garage until she needs them.
    Hawk aka BrownDog recently posted…It’s Been a Ho Hum WeekMy Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:39 pm (8 months ago)

I think I’m going to have to start doing the same thing!

March 10, 2014 at 11:40 pm (8 months ago)

We go to Costco all the time too, I need to just suck it up and buy bulk!

9. Diana Stoll
    March 10, 2014 at 11:36 am (8 months ago)

Hope Leroy feels better soon. Hugs and wags.

March 10, 2014 at 11:40 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you! He seems to be doing better this week!

March 10, 2014 at 11:41 pm (8 months ago)

I’m heading there later this week. Right now I only have 1 roll ;)

March 10, 2014 at 11:41 pm (8 months ago)

I have added them to mine too!

March 10, 2014 at 11:42 pm (8 months ago)

Haha. Now treats I do usually buy in bulk ;)

March 10, 2014 at 11:43 pm (8 months ago)

That’s a great idea and I think I was way off my game because it was so late and I was so freaked out!

10. Gigi Bell
    March 10, 2014 at 2:59 pm (8 months ago)

So we keep a variety of microfiber cloths about for the drool. I recommend you get some to cut down on the paper towels. That being said- you should totally buy paper towels in bulk!! They are cheaper that way & always on hand!!!

March 10, 2014 at 11:44 pm (8 months ago)

That is an awesome idea about the microfiber cloths Gigi! Thank you for sharing!

11. Jodi, Kolchak & Felix
    March 10, 2014 at 3:04 pm (8 months ago)

My stock of paper towel and baby wipes make me look like I’m on an episode of Hoarders. I wait until they’re on sale and buy a woof load (also, I highly recommend baby wipes for runny butt moments.)

I also like paper towel for raw food clean up. Even though I use a really reliable natural disinfectant for our counter tops and floors, I would rather toss the towel I used to mop it all up than be constantly washing & disinfecting kitchen towels.
    Jodi, Kolchak & Felix recently posted…DIY WOOF Welcome MatMy Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:46 pm (8 months ago)

So maybe you should send me some? Lol.

The baby wipes are a great idea too, I always forget about that since I don’t use them for the kids anymore!

12. Stella Rose
    March 10, 2014 at 3:09 pm (8 months ago)

Oh we use them alot also at our house, between grandmonsters, our dad and us.
    stella rose

March 10, 2014 at 11:46 pm (8 months ago)

I bet you buy them in bulk!

March 10, 2014 at 4:35 pm (8 months ago)

Leroy’s better, right? Now that we have a puppy, I should probably buy them in bulk. But he’s a little puppy, so maybe not.
    Flea recently posted…Winner, Winner, Dog Treat Dinner! FBM 64My Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:47 pm (8 months ago)

Yes. Leroy is better :) Thankfully!

Maybe you should start buying them to get in the mode ;)

March 10, 2014 at 11:47 pm (8 months ago)

Sorry Sue!

14. Dolly the Doxie
    March 10, 2014 at 4:47 pm (8 months ago)

Poor Leroy! Join Costco we buy a huge package at a time! Mom’s cat had projectile vomit one time she understands completely! Love Dolly
    Dolly the Doxie recently posted…The Power of the Pet BloggerMy Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:48 pm (8 months ago)

We are members of Costco! Shhhhh, don’t tell ;)

March 10, 2014 at 11:48 pm (8 months ago)

I bet you two don’t make any messes!

March 10, 2014 at 6:06 pm (8 months ago)

Yup, we buy them in bulk. We also have bags of old clothing around that’s not good enough to give away, and we use those as backup. With a puppy in the house, lots of paper towels were necessary, but I always bought them in bulk even before that.
    I’m so glad Leroy didn’t have bloat, I am familiar with it, and am careful with our dogs even though they aren’t one of the breeds at high risk. Also, I really hope Leroy is feeling better.
    Jan K recently posted…Sibling Sepia SaturdayMy Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:49 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you!

The old clothes are a great idea! Thank you for sharing!

16. Susan and the gang from LifeWithDogsAndCats.com
    March 10, 2014 at 6:47 pm (8 months ago)

We actually keep a bunch of cloth diapers around that we use for all kinds of accidents–easy to wash, easy to bleach and reusable. But we also do you have to buy paper towels in bulk as well. Sorry your Leroy was sick, hope he feels better.

–Woofs (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats
    Susan and the gang from LifeWithDogsAndCats.com recently posted…Story: I get by with a little help from my friendsMy Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:50 pm (8 months ago)

Great ideas Susan! I should of kept all the old baby blankets I had from the kids. The thin swaddle ones! We had a ton!

17. emma
    March 10, 2014 at 6:53 pm (8 months ago)

We always have a big package of them in the basement, we also have several cans of carpet cleaner as if Katie does make a mess on the carpet, 1-2 cans are gone in no time.
    emma recently posted…Crazy Times | GBGV | Monday MischiefMy Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:51 pm (8 months ago)

Yes! Carpet cleaners are a must and I’ve ran out of those before too, but not this time :)

18. Gabi
    March 10, 2014 at 8:15 pm (8 months ago)

Poor Leroy and poor you! I feel you on the importance of paper towels. Especially when you feed raw (blood drips…) and foster dogs that may not be housebroken. We go through a LOT of paper towel.
    Gabi recently posted…Monday Mischief: More Agility Trial PrepMy Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:52 pm (8 months ago)

I bet you do! Wow!

19. tylersat99
    March 10, 2014 at 9:49 pm (8 months ago)

I use paper towels for cleaning up my spills (many) and Johns and for the dogs. I always buy paper towels and toilet paper in bulk. Those are the 2 things I don’t want to run out of at the worst possible moment. I make John let me get 2 pretty single rolls with decorations just for me to put out in kitchen. Bad things always come out of nowhere if you run out ;)
    tylersat99 recently posted…Black and White Sunday – AllMy Profile

March 10, 2014 at 11:53 pm (8 months ago)

Those are the 2 things that my husband keeps telling me to buy in bulk and I never do! I am now going to change my ways!

March 10, 2014 at 11:53 pm (8 months ago)

You can say that again ;)

20. Donna O.
    March 13, 2014 at 7:04 pm (8 months ago)

Yikes. Poor Leroy. Poor you. Poor bath towels.
    I hope he is feeling better now…and that your hubby didn’t rub it in your face for very long – and I pray – not literally.
    Donna O. recently posted…Double Dog Trouble – Part ThreeMy Profile

21. Jill Rogat
    March 14, 2014 at 11:32 pm (8 months ago)

Ugh, poor you and poor dog – and those poor bath towels will never be the same. We always buy paper towels and food in bulk. With kids and dogs in the house, there is never enough of anything on hand – more is definitely better.

March 17, 2014 at 1:14 pm (8 months ago)

I actually think I just vomited a little in my mouth.
    Jodi recently posted…Some Big EasyMy Profile