When The Dog Spills The Rubber Bands

My daughter is very into the ” loom rubber band craze.”

She makes everything out of those colorful little rubber bands from bracelets and necklaces to cute little dogs for your key chain and she takes great pride in her work.

She’s very organized when it comes to these little rubber bands and she has them all divided up by colors in plastic cases.

When she runs low on certain color we head to the nearest craft store and stock up.

You can buy the rubber bands in bags of single colors or bags of mixed colors.

When my daughter gets a bag of mixed colors she has to sort them.

Depending how many bags she gets, she can spend hours sorting rubber bands and she chooses to sort those rubber bands by sitting on the floor in the front room.

I’ve been telling her for months that this isn’t the best place to do such a daunting task because one of these days, one of the dogs are going to walk right through them.

Being that she’s 9, she has chosen to ignore my warnings and continues to sort her rubber bands in the middle of the floor and the other day it happened.

Just as she had finished sorting the last color of bands and was about to close her case, Leroy walked into the room and stepped so perfectly on the side of the case that the whole thing flipped over and all the bands spilled out.

That wasn’t the worse part.

As she picked the case up, Leroy walked past again and walked through the bands on the floor, dragging them all with him as he walked.

All the sorted colors were sorted no more.

Gracie was devastated.

I was in shock.

And Leroy was……………………………………………..

………….completely not phased that he just totally ruined Gracie’s life and plopped his big head down right on the other case that housed thousands of more rubber bands.

I had to cover my mouth with my hands so Gracie wouldn’t see the smile that was creeping out, but she knew.

She knows me all too well.

“You think that’s adorable don’t you Mom? The dog just ruined my life and you think it’s adorable.” she sobbed.

“No. No I don’t. Not at all. I think it’s a tragedy and I will help you pick all of them up as soon as you go get my camera so I can take a picture of him.” I said.

That did not go over very well.

32 Comments on When The Dog Spills The Rubber Bands

March 31, 2014 at 4:53 am (7 months ago)

ha ha turns out mum knows what she’s talking about – lovely photo!!
    Lauranne recently posted…Doggie MagicianMy Profile

2. retro rover
    March 31, 2014 at 6:18 am (7 months ago)

Tee hee, your poor daughter I bet she will recover though and I think the little rubber band dog she made is great

retro rover
    retro rover recently posted…Monday Mischief-Birthday BashMy Profile

3. emma
    March 31, 2014 at 6:30 am (7 months ago)

Us dogs, we get blamed for the darndest things and often with us it is our tails that cause some trouble for human stuff. The girl should not have her stuff out and about if she doesn’t want sweet Leroy to mess with it. He is a boy anyway, so he wouldn’t understand what she is doing anyway :) At least it kept your daughter quite busy with sorting.
    emma recently posted…From Arthritis Pain Back To Mischief | Monday Mischief | #NuVetMy Profile

March 31, 2014 at 6:45 am (7 months ago)

BOL!

I’m sure Leroy was only trying to help or supervise.

Oh, Leroy, I NEVER would have stayed around for her to take a photo as evidence of my guilt! I’d ‘ave been up and hoppin’ around as soon as I saw the camera!

Hawk aka BrownDog recently posted…A Day Without Rules!My Profile

5. Kristi
    March 31, 2014 at 8:53 am (7 months ago)

You are the worst mom ever….but you do know Gracie is the spittin’ image of you in more ways than one;)

6. Roxy the traveling dog
    March 31, 2014 at 9:21 am (7 months ago)

Yes, yes, must get the picture. LOL. I would have done the same no doubt. That dog rubber band thing is adorable!!! I never knew you could do something like that from rubber bands. Tell Gracie I think she is very talented, and OCD is alright.
    Roxy the traveling dog recently posted…Just a nice day for a walkMy Profile

7. Sue
    March 31, 2014 at 9:23 am (7 months ago)

We have two brown newfies as well – they look a lot like Sherman and Leroy – that is why I love your blog we also have 3 teenagers – they roam the house spilling things that are within their abilities – their favorite is the half full DD iced coffee! Very messy….

March 31, 2014 at 9:47 am (7 months ago)

Sorry, but I am laughing too! There is nothing quite like the drama of a 9 year old girl’s life being ruined by some spilled rubber bands! You are definitely entering the “my life is so difficult” stage with your daughter. Don’t worry though, it only lasts for the next 9 years! BOL!!
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…We Don’t Have a Code for ThatMy Profile

9. Jen K
    March 31, 2014 at 9:50 am (7 months ago)

Haha! Poor Gracie! Good thing Leroy is so adorable and easy to forgive!
    I’ve never heard of this rubber-band loom craze. But I do remember the artsy fads of my time when I was her age – beads, knitting, plastic jewellry, cross stitch… okay, some of those just mean I was a nerd with fleeting interests.
    Jen K recently posted…Monday Mischief 22: Good Morning!My Profile

March 31, 2014 at 10:38 am (7 months ago)

But I bet it was fun Leroy spreading those bands all over the place, BOL
    Lily & Edward

11. Laika
    March 31, 2014 at 11:01 am (7 months ago)

Ohh poor Gracie. I know what she is going through. When my friend Benn is visiting me, he always destroy some toys of mine. I think maybe it’s because they are boys. LOL. I love that little rubberband dog.
    Laika recently posted…Mandags uheld / Monday’s mischiefMy Profile

12. Jessica
    March 31, 2014 at 11:22 am (7 months ago)

Oh, you are heartless! Vindicated and justified, but heartless.

Honestly, I’m just thrilled you have a nine year old with a non-electronic hobby. I didn’t know that such things existed anymore.
    Jessica recently posted…Goals for AprilMy Profile

March 31, 2014 at 11:59 am (7 months ago)

HILARIOUS! I could see and hear everything as I read this post. Sorry for Gracie, but thank her for making my Monday…..
    Cathy Bennett recently posted…BLOGGING FROM A TO ZMy Profile

March 31, 2014 at 1:08 pm (7 months ago)

That sounds sooooo much like something my boys would do! Especially the not being phased afterwards part.
    sprinkles recently posted…Spring Break Blues…My Profile

March 31, 2014 at 1:33 pm (7 months ago)

I think my children were 21 before they realized that I was smarter than they were and could warn them of impending doom, like what a dog night do to their careful sorting. From about 9 or 10 through the teen years, I knew nothing.
    jan recently posted…Delightful proof that babies and dogs belong together in a familyMy Profile

16. The OP Pack
    March 31, 2014 at 5:02 pm (7 months ago)

Well, at least they didn’t eat the bands – then you might have had a different kind of spilling:0

Our little bipeds all love that loom too.

Woos – Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

17. Mary from YourDesignerDog
    March 31, 2014 at 6:32 pm (7 months ago)

Awww… all that hard work gone to waste. It’s the kind of thing that’s pretty funny, as long as it isn’t happening to you.
    Mary from YourDesignerDog recently posted…Sadie Gets Hung UpMy Profile

18. Pip
    March 31, 2014 at 10:25 pm (7 months ago)

Oh my gosh, we have those rubber bands EVERYWHERE! I am constantly picking them for fear one of the cats is going to eat one!

19. Amy@GoPetFriendly
    April 1, 2014 at 3:39 pm (7 months ago)

“Just as soon as I go get my camera …” I am laughing so hard and, at the same time, feeling for poor Gracie. Leroy was probably feeling a jealous that these rubber bands consuming all of his favorite girl’s attention and thought this would be a good way to distract her so she could focus on him. Oh, those dogs – they’ll drive you crazy and make you absolutely adore them at the same time!
    Amy@GoPetFriendly recently posted…We’re Down to Eight! Vote Now: Best City for Pet TravelersMy Profile

20. 24 Paws of Love
    April 1, 2014 at 11:27 pm (7 months ago)

Don’t tell Gracie, but that was a cute story. And Leroy with his head down on the container was the best touch. Oh to be young again and my life only ruined by a dog and rubber bands!! :)
    24 Paws of Love recently posted…New Look!My Profile

April 2, 2014 at 1:15 pm (7 months ago)

I’m sorry Gracie, but this post really did make me LOL! :) The title alone… :)

April 3, 2014 at 5:24 pm (7 months ago)

I was reading this the other day when I was at work, and almost got busted for screwing off because I started laughing out loud! Great post…I hope Gracie has recovered from the drama of it all…hee hee.
    Jan K recently posted…Throwback Thursday – SymmetryMy Profile

23. snoopys@snoopysdogblogs
    April 6, 2014 at 11:51 am (7 months ago)

Hey Jen

So are you telling us that Mum’s really do know best and we should listen to ours? :)

Poor Gracie, I hope her life has been restored and Leroy forgiven! :)

I hope you’re having a fun day,

Your pal Snoopy :)
    snoopys@snoopysdogblogs recently posted…Monday Mischief – Squirrel ProtocolMy Profile

April 8, 2014 at 1:13 pm (7 months ago)

BAH HA HA that’s funny. When my daughter was little I kept telling her not to run up and down the stairs. I told her she would slip and fall, but did she listen? No, of course not. Well apparently when one of my kids would do something I told them not to and it turned out I was right, I’d say, “See?”

So this one time, she’s about 5 and she comes running down the stairs, slips with about four steps to go, slides down on her bum and lands on the landing. She looked up, held her arms up and said, “See?” Then she burst into tears and ran and threw herself in her Daddy’s arms. Obviously she wasn’t hurt, because if she was we wouldn’t have laughed so hard we almost peed our pants. :-0

Aren’t kids fun?

April 8, 2014 at 11:32 pm (7 months ago)

I’m laughing so hard at this right now because the other day I fell while running down the steps and my son was standing at the top of the stairs just shaking his head at me!