Dog Toys That Turn Into Pillows

Last week I hit the stores to search out some new toys for Sherman and Leroy.

They’ve been extra good the past month, which is awesome but also a little scary because I feel that maybe this is the calm before the storm., but regardless, I felt they each deserved a new toy.

Buying them toys is pretty easy because they’re both pretty particular when it comes to toys that they will actually play with.

Leroy loves the plush toys that are shaped like bones and have a single squeaker in them.

Super easy and super cheap and they last a long time because he doesn’t try to tear them apart.

So Leroy got a ginormous plush bone.

It’s the biggest one that I’ve ever gotten him and I was super excited to give it to him when I got home.

Apparently he was so excited he didn’t know what to do with it, except lay on it.

Sherman’s easy too.

He only likes the yellow Air Dog toys, preferably the ones that are shaped like bones, but the football one will work too.

Unfortunately, the place where I was shopping didn’t carry these toys so I got Sherman a Tuffy toy. It was shaped like a bone and basically made out of the same material.

I’m not gonna lie. I was a bit nervous to get home and give him this toy in fear that it would be totally rejected.

At first it was rejected as toy but accepted as a pillow.

Then it was just rejected.

I’m a dog toy purchaser failure.

So how about your dog? Do they ever reject toys? Do they turn them into pillows? What’s their favorite toy?

36 Comments on Dog Toys That Turn Into Pillows

April 7, 2014 at 6:17 am (4 months ago)

I like that they both have different tastes in toys, mine both get the same. That plush bone looks lovely, I wish I could fall asleep on it. i’m shattered!!
    Lauranne recently posted…And while I’m on a role…. rejection 2.My Profile

2. Taryn
    April 7, 2014 at 6:55 am (4 months ago)

My guys like to retrieve, so for Jimmy it’s a Cuz and for Wilson it’s a Chuck-it flying squirrel. In most cases a stuffie is a fail, but Wilson got one for Christmas that he just loves.
    Taryn recently posted…Black and White Sunday: RaptureMy Profile

April 7, 2014 at 9:35 am (4 months ago)

Maggie doesn’t play with toys at all – I keep trying different things, but I think her history as a breeder mom just leeched all the play out of her. Jack likes stuffed toys that he can tear apart. His 2nd favorite is his treat toys. We have a bunch where you put the treats inside and he has to work them our. He can spend days on some of those – especially when I put in treats that are too big to come out whatever little opening there is…
    slimdoggy recently posted…The Filthy Fifty: Fifty Reps for Canine and Human FitnessMy Profile

April 7, 2014 at 10:08 am (4 months ago)

My Human had to stop givin’ me “treat dispenser” toys ’cause I throw them against the wall and the bad things make marks on the wall. (Hey, that’s the quickest way to get the treats out!)

I have a toy box and get to choose the toy to take outside when I go to play. I get to keep a couple of indestructible Kong or Air Dog toys in the house. I get tired of all of them and reject each at one time or another. In other words, I like variety! and choice!

Hawk aka BrownDog recently posted…F Is for Fun!My Profile

April 7, 2014 at 11:30 am (4 months ago)

It’s relatively easy. Leo likes everything and Harley is only interested in what Leo likes at the time. Hence the beginning of the everyday tug of war game. They don’t fight, they just pull. Once Leo relents, Harley looses interest also. Leo will seek out another toy and the games begin again…
    Cathy Bennett recently posted…GROOVY GOLDENDOODLES ARE BLOGGING FROM A TO Z | FROWSTMy Profile

6. Sue
    April 7, 2014 at 11:51 am (4 months ago)

Such sweet photos! All three of my dogs love toys that “talk.” Faves include a plush pumpkin with kids’ voices saying Trick or Treat, plush rose bud say I love you, puppy that cries, cat that meows, birthday cake sings the Happy Birthday Song… you get the picture. None of these are ever destroyed in any way, in fact the pumpkin and rose are over 10 years old!
    Sue recently posted…Stealth Quacker Invasion | Monday MischiefMy Profile

April 7, 2014 at 12:15 pm (4 months ago)

We have a few of those laying around the house
    Lily & Edward

8. Jessica
    April 7, 2014 at 12:20 pm (4 months ago)

Silas likes to sleep with his head propped up, and he is not picky. Give him long enough and he’ll sleep on anything. I’ve got a picture of him somewhere sleeping with a Nylabone under his chin. This is my dog with no hair.

Maybe you should think of it as “repurposing” rather than “rejecting.”
    Jessica recently posted…Are you supporting cruelty to dogs?My Profile

9. Jenny Bryl
    April 7, 2014 at 1:19 pm (4 months ago)

Dougie doesn’t play with toys. He has one stuffed elephant that he got for graduation from his intermediate training classes. He sucks on its head and kneads when he is getting ready to go to sleep. It really stinks since its a couple years old. I’ve thought about washing it many times, but it will probably fall apart in the wash. I can’t bring myself to throw it out because he still uses it occasionally. Nothing else seems to be the right replacement for it.

10. Gabi
    April 7, 2014 at 1:59 pm (4 months ago)

We have enough dogs in our house that somebody will always like something ;) They’re really partial to fleecey stuffed toys but they love their antlers and nylabones. I have a feeling that toy may get dug out six months from now and become the new “favorite” hahah… Sometimes I forget we have toys and then all of a sudden someone finds an old toy and it’s the best thing ever.
    Gabi recently posted…Monday Mischief: A Pretty New FaceMy Profile

11. Jackie Bouchard
    April 7, 2014 at 2:08 pm (4 months ago)

Rita rejects toys that are toys disguised as brain-games. Either she is not too sharp, or she’s WAY too sharp. Can’t decide… Her fave toy changes, but we have a stuffed bunny with a squeaker that she really likes and it’s lasted a long time.

At least they used them as pillows. Too cute.
    Jackie Bouchard recently posted…Monday Mischief: Rita Says #BooMonday!My Profile

12. judy @ bailey unleashed
    April 7, 2014 at 2:59 pm (4 months ago)

bailey doesn’t really play with toys. she’ll fetch her stuffless toy once or twice, then she’s done. i keep buying toys for her hoping she’ll get motivated to play but alas, they just end up in aoife’s toy box.
    judy @ bailey unleashed recently posted…aoife and mr bubbleMy Profile

April 7, 2014 at 3:22 pm (4 months ago)

Well, at least if they use them as pillows, it’s not a total waste, right? Our beagle Kobi never had any interest in toys after he got about 4 years old. The girls have only become interested in them again since we got our puppy. Luke likes any toys, or boxes, or crumpled paper…..
    Is it any better if you get them a toy, and all they want to do is tear it to shreds? That’s our golden Sheba, and then when there’s nothing but a shell left to it. they all fight over it!
    Jan K recently posted…Monday Mish Mash With a Little MischiefMy Profile

14. tylersat99
    April 7, 2014 at 5:19 pm (4 months ago)

Lexie always only liked the plush toys with squeakers. She liked to catch them from Dad then play tug for him to get them back to throw again. She also loved to remove the stuffing and squeakers.
    tylersat99 recently posted…Black and White SundayMy Profile

15. Tenacious Little Terrier
    April 7, 2014 at 5:39 pm (4 months ago)

Mr. N likes to sleep with his mouse toy. His favorite toys are usually the ones he picks out. We go to the store, I put a few in front of him and he chooses one and runs around the store with it. Onyxx’s favorite is a green yeti toy.
    Tenacious Little Terrier recently posted…Monday Mischief #29 – Sick PupMy Profile

April 7, 2014 at 6:43 pm (4 months ago)

Leroy and Sherman melt my heart. Bentley likes squishy balls and Pierre loves everything but he kills stuffed toys. You’re not a failure, they each have a new chin pillow!
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Tucker TroubleMy Profile

17. Deborah
    April 7, 2014 at 7:15 pm (4 months ago)

All three of my Chihuahuas like small stuffed animals with a squaker inside. It’s easy peasy when I pick out their toys – and the looks on their faces when they see new ‘babies’ is priceless!

18. The OP Pack
    April 7, 2014 at 7:36 pm (4 months ago)

Phantom has no interest whatsoever in toys. Ciara and Lightning would NEVER reject any toy, BUT they also destroy them in less than five minutes. Those Tuffy toys are about the only ones they can’t rip apart:(

Woos – Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

19. Dolly the Doxie
    April 7, 2014 at 8:38 pm (4 months ago)

Man we are totally different personalities! My mom buys toys from the clearance bins so that I can have something just to destroy! The only toys that last are squeaky Duraplay or Kong rubber toys for me. Love Dolly
    Dolly the Doxie recently posted…Monday Mischief: New FriendMy Profile

April 8, 2014 at 11:31 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you for including our site Jerry!

20. melF
    April 9, 2014 at 7:30 am (4 months ago)

he pictures are cute. I can relate to worrying about failing. My difficulty is that Daisy likes the big stuffed animals with squeakers inside because she likes to carry them around, but Jasper likes destroying toys like that. It is bound to fail at some point. :)
    melF recently posted…Wordless Wednesday #182 – Two Shelties and a LabMy Profile

21. Paula
    April 9, 2014 at 7:56 pm (4 months ago)

Several years ago I was cleaning out the closets and found my daughter’s ‘polar bear’ pillow. it was on the ground to be thrown out. Her Shih Tzu loved it! Played with it, laid on it. She still has it. :)
    Paula recently posted…Kitty YogaMy Profile

April 10, 2014 at 1:32 am (4 months ago)

My boys only like small, lightweight toys. Even better – if it has a squeaker! They’re small, so they like small toys too. If it’s too big or too heavy, they’ll reject it. I learned that very quickly!

Shiver often uses his toys as pillows.
    sprinkles recently posted…Monday MemeMy Profile

April 10, 2014 at 4:40 pm (4 months ago)

My dogs do love a good stuffie that they can destuff, but they also really like those flat, floppy toys too, they carry them around in their mouths and I find it very adorable.
    Jodi recently posted…Loud and ClearMy Profile

24. Bailey
    April 11, 2014 at 8:04 pm (4 months ago)

I don’t see the pillow thing as a rejection. Ours will play with it and then sleep with it. They love the plush toys and then they use them as pillows when they are done playing.
    Bailey recently posted…Look What We Found!My Profile