Dog Hair Leads To A Hairy….. Or Harry…. Situation

We’re in the midst of a hairy situation right now and it’s only going to get worse over the next few weeks.

That little nest of hair above is only about 5 minutes of brushing.

This big nest of hair below is about 20 minutes of brushing.

This little dog of fur below, who happens to be named Harry, is going to multiply and have Harry babies all over my house and my yard.

We encounter this hairy, or Harry, situation every spring when the Sherman and Leroy blow their coats, but what’s different about this year is that I’m using a different kind of grooming tool to assist me in this hairy, or Harry, situation.

Normally I use a Mars Coat King in situations like this, but this year I’m using a FURminator.

That’s right, I’m stepping outside of my comfort zone and I’m putting the FURminator to the test on Sherman. I’m even bagging all the hair that comes out so I can show you on Friday. My husband isn’t too happy that there is bags of dog hair laying all around the house but I assured him it’s all for a very good reason.

I think I might surprise him one day this week with a whole bunch of little Harry’s laying around the house.

Anyway, I’ll have my full review of the FURminator up on Friday so be sure to stop back and see how much dog hair I’ve bagged up!

30 Comments on Dog Hair Leads To A Hairy….. Or Harry…. Situation

1. Jana Rade
    April 9, 2014 at 1:47 am (5 months ago)

Yeah, I love our FURminator. Our guys don’t have as much fur, at least they don’t look like they do. It wasn’t until Jasmine was shaved for her surgeries when I realized how much undercoat she actually has and how thick it is. So FURminator is an indispensable tool here too.
    Jana Rade recently posted…Nose Bleeds? Bella’s Nasal CancerMy Profile

April 9, 2014 at 4:41 am (5 months ago)

I love that you have made a dog out of the hair and named it!!
    Lauranne recently posted…Facebook Friends?My Profile

April 9, 2014 at 6:51 am (5 months ago)

We use the coat king to strip our GBGV coats. For Katie we would love to try a furminator as she is such a sheddy dog all year round. You could really knit some nice Newfie sweaters if you turned that fur into knitting wool, and if you can knit.
    Emma recently posted…When Good Puppies Go Bad | GBGV | Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

4. Sue
    April 9, 2014 at 7:29 am (5 months ago)

We have an appointment with Chrissy’s Dog Spa in Franklin, NH 934-5046 for the spring blow out of our two brown newfies – used to do it ourselves BUT our equipment and time is very limited – they LOVE Chrissy and her facility and we love it when it is all done! She is wonderful and has an open concept grooming facilities where they roam around and socialize in and around the grooming process – just like we had to do at home! Best wishes to all who have the “winter coat” to tackle!

5. Sue
    April 9, 2014 at 7:51 am (5 months ago)

Definitely interested in your opinion on the furminator! A couple of days ago I was grooming Jeffie and had such a pile of dog hair… and I thought of you, Leroy and Sherman and laughed. No comparison, as you showed so well in the photos :-)
    Sue recently posted…Name Yourself Day | Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

6. Michelle
    April 9, 2014 at 9:07 am (5 months ago)

My Rottie sheds more than I ever thought possible, but nothing like those two! I use the furminator and I like it, although on my longer haired dog I dont know if it pulls more or not, will have to see. Looking forward to your thoughts!

7. Happy Healthy Dog Blog
    April 9, 2014 at 9:41 am (5 months ago)

A whole nother dog’s worth of fur sure is a hairy/Harry situation! My mom has a little dog called Harry and he has a really thin coat due to long term cortisone treatment – so I think he would be very happy to have some spare Harry coat LOL!
    Happy Healthy Dog Blog recently posted…Griffon BruxelloisMy Profile

April 9, 2014 at 10:19 am (5 months ago)

Awaiting your Friday post. I’m interested in your take on the FURminator. Sherman is still looking pretty fluffy. lol

9. Miley
    April 9, 2014 at 11:55 am (5 months ago)

Now see, I wish our mom would make fun things out of our hair! Geesh, all she does is complain about it! BOL!

10. Jessica
    April 9, 2014 at 12:29 pm (5 months ago)

One of the great dog questions: would you like a dog who sheds a lot of hair all at once? Or a dog who sheds a moderate amount of hair all the time?

Silas has almost no hair, and I still sweep up a good handful every few days. I don’t even know where it’s coming from.
    Jessica recently posted…Wordless Wednesday: Inside, OutsideMy Profile

11. Ruby
    April 9, 2014 at 3:03 pm (5 months ago)

Wowsa!! That reminds Ma of her Angel Panda the OES, who also shed every spring and wows, you just can’t believes how much furs are under there!!
    The Furminator is good, though it sometimes gets caught in my curly furs…
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥
    Ruby recently posted…Black and White SundayMy Profile

12. Jen K
    April 9, 2014 at 3:10 pm (5 months ago)

Fun – we’re going through this too! My Saturday this weekend is all booked with fun grooming plans for Moses and Alma. I’ll be curious to see what you think of the furminator – we have one for the cats, but I don’t use it on the dogs – I worry it will strip out guard hair unnecessarily.
    Jen K recently posted…Monday Mischief 22: Good Morning!My Profile

13. The OP Pack
    April 9, 2014 at 3:24 pm (5 months ago)

Welcome to all the new little Harry”s:) the same will be happening here soon. Mom has tried brushing us but it really isn’t quite ripe for plucking yet. We don’t use the furminator because Mom thinks it breaks our furs, but she is curious to know what this Mars Coat King might be all about.

Happy brushing.

Woos – Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

April 9, 2014 at 4:55 pm (5 months ago)

Our review is next week, but I can already tell you’re going to have me beat! I had no idea you could get bags plural of hair off a dog! Just wow!
    houndstooth recently posted…Wordless Wednesday 4/9 — Paris ModelsMy Profile

15. Jackie Bouchard
    April 9, 2014 at 6:10 pm (5 months ago)

Wowza! My sis can do the same thing w/ all the hair that comes off her husky-mix in the spring. And I thought Rita was shedding a lot! Hahahaha! Not a chance!
    Jackie Bouchard recently posted…Less-Wordy Wednesday: When I Get HomeMy Profile

16. judy @ bailey unleashed
    April 9, 2014 at 6:33 pm (5 months ago)

OMD, that picture of “harry” had me rotfl. priceless.
    what do you do with all that hair? can the wild birds use it for nesting?
    judy @ bailey unleashed recently posted…cha-cha-cha chihuahuaMy Profile

April 9, 2014 at 8:04 pm (5 months ago)

Even better, you can have the hair woven into yarn and knit your husband a sweater from Sherman’s hair!
    slimdoggy recently posted…Why Labs Make Great PetsMy Profile

April 10, 2014 at 1:27 am (5 months ago)

I LOVE my FURminator! Mine is an older one but I know the first time that I used it on my Golden Retriever, I was in shock! I use it on Bentley every day. You’ll get a tremendous amount of hair from your two! BOL!
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…I am a Quote~aholicMy Profile

April 11, 2014 at 11:29 am (5 months ago)

I hear you! I would be freaking out right now if we were still showing! I use to try and avoid Spring shows, but then I realized everyone else’s dog was blowing coat too!

April 10, 2014 at 4:42 pm (5 months ago)

Oh lord, when you’re done with that, I really need some leaves bagged. ;-)
    Jodi recently posted…Loud and ClearMy Profile

20. Colby
    April 11, 2014 at 5:57 pm (5 months ago)

I love the nest of fur with the eggs! I won’t pretend to know what its like when newfies blow their coats, but when we brush Linus in the Spring we call the fur piles baby Linus similar to your Hairy babies. If we don’t vacuum for a couple days we have fur balls rolling around the house like tumbleweeds.
    Colby recently posted…There’s Something Squishy Under My Little Puppy Paws!?My Profile

21. Kevin
    May 5, 2014 at 7:40 pm (4 months ago)

Wow, that is impressive! – And I thought we were dealing with a lot of fur with our Goldens!
    Kevin recently posted…Unlikely FriendsMy Profile