Breaking Routine

When Sherman and Leroy get a bath we have a basic routine.

They get wet.

They get shampooed.

They get rinsed.

They get on the grooming table.

They get dried.

We’ve done it this way since they were puppies and they know the routine well.

So well, that if you falter at all from that routine they know it and they make sure to let let you know that they know.

Just like Leroy let me know that I broke our bathing routine on Thursday when I gave him bath and decided that, since it was such a gorgeous day outside, I would let him air a dry a bit before getting him on the table and blow drying him.

After I rinsed him he jumped right up on the table, which is good, I’m glad he knows the routine, but he refused to jump back down when I told him I wasn’t going to dry him yet and he just sat there glaring at me.

I can only imagine what he was thinking.

Eventually, I broke down and dried him because I couldn’t take the pressure of the glare.

So how about you? Does your dog ever let you know when you break their routine?

38 Comments on Breaking Routine

1. Amy
    April 14, 2014 at 4:15 am (2 years ago)

Oh wow that is a glare and a half… I’d probably break down too! 😉
    Amy recently posted…I Miss My Dog!My Profile

2. stacey
    April 14, 2014 at 5:13 am (2 years ago)

We have a routines here. I have to because I have a toddler and dogs. If I am running late and do not keep to our scheduled routine, the dogs let me know! They are not happy when their schedule is not followed and I will hear about it in great detail with the eyes and the whining.
    stacey recently posted…Custom Sidebar Plugin TutorialMy Profile

April 14, 2014 at 5:38 am (2 years ago)

Ha ha I love that they have you so well trained! Mity is very similar he has his evening routine, when he has his evening walk then decides it should be bed time so he takes himself off to bed. Half and hour later he comes down and glares at us as if to point out it is bed time. He’s very cute!
    Lauranne recently posted…O god I messed up the company card!!My Profile

4. Susan and the gang from
    April 14, 2014 at 6:41 am (2 years ago)

Dogs (and cats) like routine. They like knowing what to expect. They are masters of paying attention to details. It’s why we can train them. (Yes, we can train cats, too!) The only routine my crew care enough about to provide commentary is the feeding routine. They know when I’m late. To the minute.

–Woofs (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats
    Susan and the gang from recently posted…Story: Paws buttonMy Profile

5. Ruby and Angel Pip
    April 14, 2014 at 6:52 am (2 years ago)

Pip was pretty good about baths, but Ruby is always jumping out of the tub mid-bath and spraying shampoo everywhere!

6. Taryn
    April 14, 2014 at 6:57 am (2 years ago)

Like Susan said, the dinner routine better play out on schedule! You would think they wear watches!
    Taryn recently posted…Monday Mischief: Wait for Me!My Profile

April 14, 2014 at 8:29 am (2 years ago)

Ha ha ha! All. the. time! I love that glare! We’ve had our share of dirty looks like that one, too.
    houndstooth recently posted…Destination UnknownMy Profile

8. stella rose
    April 14, 2014 at 9:26 am (2 years ago)

We have our morning breakfast routine and our night supper routine, our mom sometimes gets off the routine schedule tho and then we make her pay in many ways…….next day she is back on schedule.
    stella rose

9. Roxy the traveling dog
    April 14, 2014 at 9:43 am (2 years ago)

LOL…That look. I would have caved too. Torrey shocked me the other day. I took her to my friends to give her a bath, and once we were in the bathroom, she jumped right in the tub!
    Roxy the traveling dog recently posted…Black and White SundayMy Profile

April 14, 2014 at 10:18 am (2 years ago)

Hi Y’all,

Sorry we haven’t been around much, but the Humans are super busy this time of year and my Human Mama has been suffering from migraine, so we’ve been missin’ out.

My Human is about to drag me out for a bath and grooming…wonder if Sherman could teach me to give her that “evil eye”?

Hawk aka BrownDog recently posted…Latrant, LatrationMy Profile

April 14, 2014 at 10:44 am (2 years ago)

We have a feeling you guys love all that attention
    Lily & Edward

April 14, 2014 at 10:49 am (2 years ago)

ha ha ha – now that’s too funny. THE look and all… you’d think most dogs would prefer to skip the dryer! :) Too cute!
    Nichole recently posted…Monday Mischief: Cheating Part 2My Profile

April 14, 2014 at 11:19 am (2 years ago)

That look is HILARIOUS! What a big goober! We’re trying to break some routines, here. Things like biting mama’s butt when she’s letting you out the back door. Or barking when someone comes in the front door and not stopping until they go out the back door. UGH!
    Flea recently posted…K is Keep Smiling and L is Laugh! A to ZMy Profile

April 14, 2014 at 11:29 am (2 years ago)

Only when it comes to their Greenies dental chew treat. Harley knows approx. what time distribution is to occur. Nothing will distract him from harassing me and reminding me what I’m supposed to be doing around the 4:00pm hour. So funny about the blow dryer. Dogs are a trip aren’t they?
    Cathy Bennett recently posted…GROOVY GOLDENDOODLES ARE BLOGGING FROM A TO Z | LEXICALMy Profile

15. Cathy
    April 14, 2014 at 11:57 am (2 years ago)

It’s funny how they are so use to the routines that we have created. They become a creature of our habits and if we deviate they certainly let us know don’t they. Our Abbie is our four legged alarm clock, even on weekends when we don’t necessarily want to get up at 4am…. Still love them with all our hearts…

April 14, 2014 at 12:19 pm (2 years ago)

That looks says “Get with it Mom or there will be retribution”. Lol

17. ZulaMae
    April 14, 2014 at 12:25 pm (2 years ago)

Love that glare! My four Australian Labradoodles definitely know how things are done and when, particularly dinner and the glare is employed to remark on change from routine. Example: dinner is behind schedule. All four boys get up, stand and glare at me in my reading chair. I pretend to ignore them. They wait five minutes then as one all four dogs move across the room to where my other half sits in his reading chair and stand glaring at him intently, more focused than ever. We are both deeply amused. One of us breaks and calls “Release the Kraken!” and the boys know they’ve won, tails wag and we all head for food prep. All in good fun and we don’t do it every time. They have a great sense of humor. We love it that they have opinions. They aren’t bratty at all and are willing to “discuss” a situation and accept a change once explained. They might grumble a bit but we think quiet vocalization is reasonable under these circumstances. Hence our dogs also express quiet pleasure, displeasure, bliss, etc. verbally in a non bark. It’s kind of an extension of the glare but verbal. It’s acceptable, reasoning communication and I’m all for it. Why should the choices be bark/growl? They are capable of so much more as evidenced by the briliance of the glare. Note: I am compelled to mention the yen glare (will you?) vs. the yang glare (you will!).

April 14, 2014 at 12:53 pm (2 years ago)

Leroy is definitely giving you the “You’re doing it wrong” glare! Bentley knows the bathtub routine very well. He only lets me know when I make a mistake in his feeding schedule!
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Squirrel SeasonMy Profile

April 14, 2014 at 4:04 pm (2 years ago)

So adorable! That’s alot of dog to bath!

20. The OP Pack
    April 14, 2014 at 7:40 pm (2 years ago)

Ha Ha – that look says it all!!!

The only routine we don’t like to have broken is mealtime:)

Woos – Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

21. Miley
    April 14, 2014 at 8:16 pm (2 years ago)

Well, mom’s a dog groomer so we know all about routines!! You look so shiny and clean!!!
    Miley recently posted…Mischievous DucksMy Profile

22. Jana Rade
    April 15, 2014 at 1:29 am (2 years ago)

You mess with the routine, you pay the price! At best it leads to great confusion.

The cutest routine related story? When hubby forgot to pick me up from the gym. There he is, driving innocently home with the dogs giving him a very evil look. “What!? What’s with you guys?” They just keep staring. Then it dawned on him. “Oh no!”

They took care of their mommy and reminded him he was forgetting something.
    Jana Rade recently posted…You Are In Our Hearts ForeverMy Profile

23. kristi
    April 15, 2014 at 10:38 pm (2 years ago)

Yes….when I dont feed Squirt his breakfast in bed he barks at me till I bring it to him;)
    kristi recently posted…For the Love of a Baby GoatMy Profile

24. Jessica @YouDidWhatWithYourWeiner
    April 17, 2014 at 9:06 am (2 years ago)

The only routine Chester and Gretel care about is the feeding routine :) They start harassing me an hour before it is time EVERY DAY. They actually do better when I ‘break the routine” by taking them for a walk during that hour before dinner instead of sitting on the couch like a target.
    Jessica @YouDidWhatWithYourWeiner recently posted…Take the #PawNatural Challenge With UsMy Profile