The Look Of Disgust

Gracie and Sherman have a great time together.

She loves him and he loves her.

It’s not hard to see that.

Gracie loves everything abut Sherman except for one small thing that she just can’t seem to get over.

The slobber.

Stop staring at it and get in there!

I remember when Gracie was going through this “When I get really upset I’m going to hold my breath until I pass out phase.”

I hated that phase and so did anyone who came in contact with her during that phase.

The first time she did it she was about 6 months old and we were getting her first professional picture taken and she did not want to have her picture taken so she started to cry but nothing was coming out and her face turned bright red and then her eyes rolled back in her head and she passed out right there on the photography props.

You can do this.

I remember thinking, “WTF was that?” and then of course, I went into the freak out mommy mode and immediately made an appointment with the doctor. She checked out fine and the doctor explained that this happens with some kids and not to worry because as soon as she passes out she will start to breathe again and eventually she will outgrow it.

Awesome.

In the meantime I will just try not to let anything piss off my baby.

Good luck with that.

Just brush it right in!

This phase went on for about 3 years and she probably passed out about 2 dozen times over that period.

Every time Gracie would get mad we would just look at her and wait for the sign that she was about to go out. Sometimes we were able to blow in her face in order to get her to take a breath before she fainted and sometimes she just went flat out.

You never knew when it was going to happen so we did our best not to piss Gracie off as much as we could, especially when we were out in public.

It’s just a little wet

While I blocked some of the times out there are few that I’ve never been able to forget.

The first one was when she first passed out at the photography studio, then there was the time we were all playing baseball outside and Gracie lost and she got mad and passed out in the front yard. The other time was when she was 2 and she standing in the front room and Sherman walked past her and wiped a big goober across her arm.

I still remember seeing her face.

She looked at her arm. Looked at Sherman. Looked at me. Looked back at her arm. Opened her mouth to cry and nothing came out. Her face turned beat red. Eyes rolled back in her head and out she went.

Good girl! Now breathe!

Of course I was all, “No, no. It’s just slobber.Settle down. Take a breath. I’ll wipe it off. Look, all gone!”

She didn’t care. She passed out anyway.

So even though she’s come a long way and she no longer passes out when slobber touches her, apparently she still has a little farther to go.

29 Comments on The Look Of Disgust

June 16, 2014 at 2:51 am (5 months ago)

I know that must have scared you half to death! If she still does it when she hits the teen years; have a lot of pillows on the floor! Haha! Her last photo is priceless!
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…A Pet’s Fountain of Youth #AntiAgingPetsMy Profile

June 16, 2014 at 6:32 am (5 months ago)

I love that the advice was ‘once she’s passed out she’ll start to breath again’ how did you not go completely crazy?!
    Lauranne recently posted…Enjoy….My Profile

June 16, 2014 at 6:47 am (5 months ago)

That would be terrible. Mom would be scared to death if she had a child that would pass out from fear. Glad she seems to be over it, and who knows if she will ever get over slobber or not but it doesn’t seem so dangerous.
    Emma recently posted…Emma Goes Car ShoppingMy Profile

4. retro rover
    June 16, 2014 at 8:49 am (5 months ago)

Eeeps that would be really scary! Im glad she has outgrown it

retro rover
    retro rover recently posted…Happy Father’s DayMy Profile

June 16, 2014 at 10:11 am (5 months ago)

You’re right. She has come a long way. Way to go, Gracie! I’m not a big slobber fan. But I’m a Sherman and Leroy fan. :)
    Flea recently posted…Dogs and Fruit, FBM 76My Profile

6. Bailey
    June 16, 2014 at 10:13 am (5 months ago)

That is a tough parenting challenge. There are times your child is going to have to be frustrated, but the consequence of having to watch your child pass out is brutal.
    Bailey recently posted…Whisker Walk 2014My Profile

June 16, 2014 at 10:37 am (5 months ago)

That is quite a powerful tool for a small child to have over parents. Is she sure she wants to outgrow it? She might get a car, a later curfew or any number of teenage things.
    jan recently posted…Child’s service dog gets repossessedMy Profile

June 16, 2014 at 11:05 am (5 months ago)

You have come a long way Miss Gracie! But what a little smart-arse you are… your Mama is in trouble when you get older………. ha ha ha :)
    Nichole recently posted…GIVEAWAY WINNER! Purina #LightandHealthyMy Profile

June 16, 2014 at 11:23 am (5 months ago)

Thats a whole other dog you brushed off! LOL

June 16, 2014 at 12:39 pm (5 months ago)

Sherman you will be proud. I slobbered like you the other day
    Lily (& Edward)

11. Blueberry's human
    June 16, 2014 at 2:00 pm (5 months ago)

That is so funny – I can’t believe that was her coping mechanism! I know a young girl that goes to sleep when she gets upset or stressed. I suppose it is a lot quieter than a tantrum – but I can see how the whole passing out thing would be really disturbing! Hehehe – fun story to tell her potential suitors when she gets older…
    Blueberry’s human recently posted…Pond-tastic!!!My Profile

June 16, 2014 at 2:18 pm (5 months ago)

Oh my goodness, poor Gracie, and that must have been so scary for you. I’ve never heard of children doing that, but I remember my sister used to faint a lot when she was young. I wonder if that was why?
    I’m not a big fan of slobber myself, but it’s definitely not worth passing out over! I’m better about it than I used to be too. You just have to get used to these things when you have dogs!
    Jan K recently posted…Monday Mischief – How Does Your Dog Drink?My Profile

13. Chelsea Price
    June 16, 2014 at 4:00 pm (5 months ago)

Poor Gracie…and poor Mom! I worked in a pediatric clinic for a time, so I have seen kids ranging from infancy-adolescence hold their breath until they pass out – it’s usually right before a shot or something equally as scary. I’m glad the slobber isn’t quite so scary as it once was…but judging from that last photo, Gracie still hasn’t gotten used to it ;) Awesome photos!
    Chelsea Price recently posted…I Am Only One PersonMy Profile

June 16, 2014 at 5:36 pm (5 months ago)

Wow – that must have been pretty scary – glad she’s over that stage…at least for now. IN her defense, that’s an awful lot of slobber to contend with.
    slimdoggy recently posted…Can You Tell a Male Dog from a Female Dog?My Profile

15. Dolly the Doxie
    June 16, 2014 at 5:51 pm (5 months ago)

Wow that’s stubborn! Mom says she has her beaten hands down! Maybe you should just let get get mad as much as she can and she’ll stop! Love Dolly
    Dolly the Doxie recently posted…Monday Mischief: Beach DayMy Profile

June 17, 2014 at 2:51 am (5 months ago)

I’m pretty sure that’s the same reaction I’d have if Sherman slobbered on my arm too! LOL Soooo glad I don’t have to deal with that with the chi’s.
    sprinkles recently posted…Mundane MondayMy Profile

17. Jen K
    June 17, 2014 at 3:00 pm (5 months ago)

Okay, I’ve never been a parent, but that ‘passing out phase’ business sounds terrifying!
    Also, having two big Newfs around for so long, I’m a little surprised she’s still grossed out by it. I guess she has principles? It took me maybe a year after we got Mo, and really good slobber is still nasty to me, but I’ve come a long way and my non-Newf friends think I’m insane and entirely too tolerant of such a gross phenomenon. Ah well.
    Jen K recently posted…Monday Mischief 24: Chow Time!My Profile

June 18, 2014 at 10:22 pm (5 months ago)

I adore Sherman Jen, but tell Gracie I’m with her! I think I would have passed out too! How awesome that you were able to handle her passing out so well. I would have freaked out. I enjoyed this story – thanks for sharing…
    Cathy Bennett recently posted…WATCH THE PAINT | WORDLESS WEDNESDAYMy Profile

June 24, 2014 at 6:01 pm (5 months ago)

Oh Gracie, I love putting slobber on my Humans. Just like you, somehow, y’all just don’t seem to appreciate it. Don’t quite understand it.

Hawk aka BrownDog recently posted…Kingston Isn’t in Jamaica…My Profile