On Turning 40

Last week I quietly turned 40.

40.

Me.

I turned 40.

I’m no longer thirty something.

I am 40.

No matter how often I say it, it doesn’t seem right.

I don’t feel 40.

IMG_17591

Well my body feels 40 but my mind feels like it’s still  a young 30.

You know, almost an adult, but not really.

I like nonsense. I always have.

As one of my favorite writers once said:

Seuss-Nonsense-Cover

I like to laugh and have fun and surround myself with people who do the same.

That is why for my 40th birthday I wanted to be surrounded by my family.

The ones who put up with my nonsense and laugh with me.

jen and bobby1

IMG_17541

Jen and gracie1

The ones that truly get me and love me anyway.

These are my people.

They made me laugh so hard on my birthday that I couldn’t breathe.

This picture says it all. Except that you can’t see Leroy who was trying to eat the sub sandwich on the counter behind all of us.

Chaos and nonsense was happening all around and I was completely content.

I hope the rest of 40 is this good.

34 Comments on On Turning 40

July 7, 2014 at 2:50 am (3 months ago)

Oh, I remember 40! Haha! If it’s any consolation, you’ll feel the exact same when you hit the big 5~0! Ugh! I wish I could say “At least that;s what I heard.” *Sigh! Happy belated birthday! 40 is the new 20, so I can believe that 50 is the new 30! hahaha!
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Basset Hounds 101 ~ Part 2My Profile

July 7, 2014 at 6:50 am (3 months ago)

A very happy belated 40th birthday. As a dog, I can’t imagine being that old, but Mom says she wishes she was that age again. In just a couple weeks she is turning a big 50 and it is dreadful. To make matters worse, the AARP has started contacting her. They can’t even wait until after her birthday? Mom says to remember, if you aren’t aging, you are dead, so you may as well accept birthdays and carry on. 40 is not as bad as you think!
    Emma recently posted…Laundry Day Is Fun Day Until…My Profile

3. Tori
    July 7, 2014 at 8:56 am (3 months ago)

Happy Belated Bday!

4. Bailey
    July 7, 2014 at 8:59 am (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday!!! Honestly my older years have been much more fun than some of my younger years.
    Bailey recently posted…Monday MischiefMy Profile

5. Dr. Liz
    July 7, 2014 at 9:11 am (3 months ago)

Happy birthday! I’ve been 40 for a few years now (no, I didn’t stop counting although occasionally I lose track and think I’m still 42, which I’m not), and half the time I’m “shocked” to be “that old” (I mean, when my parents were 40, they were ANCIENT!) and the other half the time I keep thinking, “wow, I’m so young!” ;-) So there is no good reason to stop enjoying nonsense or to think you have to start feeling “old”. Honestly, the only times I’m really reminded I’m not in my 20s is a) when I look in the mirror (no grey when I was 20, and a few more lbs, although not TOO many…) or when I crash skiing/trail running/biking/etc. (I don’t bounce as well as I did when I was 20).
    Dr. Liz recently posted…A Tale of Two DoggiesMy Profile

6. Jen K
    July 7, 2014 at 9:56 am (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday!
    Personally, I like the certainty that comes with getting older. And I’ve never really understood the “never ask a women her age” thing that my grandma would say, or the fight against aging. Everyone gets older, seems like a silly thing to hide or shame or fight! I’d rather be Helen Mirren than Joan Rivers is all I’m saying.
    Jen K recently posted…Wordless Wednesday 27: Dogs in VeniceMy Profile

July 7, 2014 at 9:58 am (3 months ago)

No no no no no. You’re not 40. One of the boys is 40 in dog years, right? Well happy birthday. :) Glad you’ve joined the 40 and over club! It’s all downhill from here!
    Flea recently posted…Puppies Playing, FBM 79My Profile

July 7, 2014 at 10:36 am (3 months ago)

I’ve got the same thoughts…….. mine is coming in the fall……… it can’t be, can it?!?!
    Nichole recently posted…Black & White Sunday: R-I-D-EMy Profile

July 7, 2014 at 11:05 am (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday! Own your age!

10. Blueberry's human
    July 7, 2014 at 11:36 am (3 months ago)

I’m always a little surprised at people that worry about turning a certain age – especially when they’ve accomplished so much like you have! You have a wonderful husband, beautiful children, fantastic dogs that keep you entertained and all of them love you! How great to be able to spend your 40th with them!

I’m in my early forties and I have to say – I still feel much younger than that.

Happy belated Birthday!
    Blueberry’s human recently posted…National Blueberry MonthMy Profile

11. Caren Gittleman
    July 7, 2014 at 12:33 pm (3 months ago)

HAPPY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! Ohhh how I smiled when I read this!!!!! If this is ANY consolation, I would LOVE to just be turning 40 lol! (I am 58!!!) And………..as ridiculous as you know that I am (and my love of silliness and laughter), trust me, you’ll still be NUTS at 58 like me!!! xoxoxo
    Caren Gittleman recently posted…Happy 4th of July!!My Profile

12. Jackie Bouchard
    July 7, 2014 at 2:07 pm (3 months ago)

Happy birthday! 40 was wonderful! Now that I’m approaching 50 though, I feel the same – keep thinking I’m still only 40! Ah well, we’re as young as we feel right? Looks like you had a wonderful bday. Here’s to a wonderful year!
    Jackie Bouchard recently posted…Monday Mischief: A Blatant ViolationMy Profile

13. retro rover
    July 7, 2014 at 6:29 pm (3 months ago)

Happy birthday! I didn’t mind turning 30 but I had a minor break down about turning 35. Its one reason I started dressing up more in vintage clothes because I had a now or never moment. Im now 36 and am very happy and I think 40 on the horizon looks good too. I realized a long time ago Ill never “mature” I think I am very much the same as I was as a teenager and I imagine I always will be. I think that will keep us young

retro rover
    retro rover recently posted…Nautical Nonsense-1930s Sailor Style for the FourthMy Profile

July 7, 2014 at 8:27 pm (3 months ago)

Happy B-day! You are a lucky woman! and you know it!

Hawk aka BrownDog recently posted…Mischief Monday!My Profile

15. Kristi
    July 7, 2014 at 10:06 pm (3 months ago)

Oh you are all about nonsense……gee surprised you don’t have a picture of Leroy mugging me!

16. CrazyDogLife
    July 8, 2014 at 4:13 am (3 months ago)

I do not celebrate birthdays anymore but have started with anniversaries. Later this year, I will be celebrating the 19th Anniversary of my 29th birthday. Hahaha … embrace the nonsense! It is what keeps us young at heart evan if the body isn’t always feeling the youth anymore! Happy Birthday and many more!
    CrazyDogLife recently posted…Bone Head Owner of the Week – Wesley TerrellMy Profile

17. Beth
    July 8, 2014 at 3:11 pm (3 months ago)

Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like you had a wonderful celebration!
    Beth recently posted…Puppy Love: GracieMy Profile

18. Dawn
    July 8, 2014 at 4:03 pm (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday! Except for a few more aches and pains, 40 is pretty awesome. I think it gets easier to laugh and smile as you get older and you realize many of the things you worried about when you were younger really aren’t worth getting worked up about.
    Dawn recently posted…Nearly Wordless Wednesday – Our New House in Des MoinesMy Profile

July 8, 2014 at 4:49 pm (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday! You had a great plan for 40 and being with who you love has to make it easier. I took 40 hard….crisis and all…but 50 was much easier! So if you are taking 40 well, 50 will be a breeze!
    Jan K recently posted…It’s About the Pets – Why and How I Write (Blog Tour)My Profile

20. Jana Rade
    July 9, 2014 at 1:41 am (3 months ago)

Belated happy birthday!

I hear you! Though I don’t have a problem with the number 40. Just turned 49 and all is still good. I do have a problem with 50 and 60. I think then a person is no longer young but not old enough for it to be an accomplishment.

I would, of course, stay 49 until 70. But I had a better idea. I’ll start different numbering. Inspired by Adobe, who started numbering with letters. So next year I’ll start with OB1 (Old Bag 1) and so on until 70 when I’ll return back to numbers ;-)
    Jana Rade recently posted…Heat Stroke – See It Coming: Canyon’s StoryMy Profile