So I Bought This Carrot….

I’ve been looking for some new toys for the boys. Not just regular plush toys but something different.

Something to spice up their life. Something they can use and get some enjoyment out of.

Something that will occupy them for a bit.

So I found this carrot. It’s made by Planet Dog and you can stuff it with treats and let the dogs chew on it to work the treats out.

My guys have never really been into things like this before but I thought I would give it a try and seeing that it’s summer, I thought I would make a nice cool treat to put in it and let them enjoy it.

I was going to buy them each one but then I decided I would just buy one and see how it went.

If it went well I would buy another one, if not, I only wasted a  few bucks.

So I whipped up some berries and yogurt, stuffed the carrot with it and put it in the freezer for a few hours.

I could barley contain my excitement while it was freezing.

I was so excited to give it them and watch them enjoy it.

I tried Sherman first.

Sherman wouldn’t even look at the carrot.

I’m serious.

He would not look at the carrot when I offered it to him.

I tried to explain the concept and still nothing.

So I tried with Leroy.

Leroy was a little more into the carrot stuffed with fun and he immediately began to lick at the yogurt when I held the carrot up to his mouth.

He liked it! Yay!

So I set the carrot down on a towel and let him have at it.

Except he wouldn’t have at it because the carrot kept rolling away from him when he went to lick it.

I explained to him that this is where he uses his paws to hold the carrot and then he chews on the carrot which then will give him access to the yogurt.

He looked at me dumbfounded and walked away from the carrot.

So I picked the carrot up and he came right up and started licking it.

I set the carrot down and he walked away.

He wasn’t getting the point of this carrot thing.

This carrot is suppose to occupy HIM, not me.

We went through this motion about a dozen times until I finally gave in and sat down and held the carrot until Leroy was done with it.

Stupid carrot.

37 Comments on So I Bought This Carrot….

August 11, 2014 at 6:45 am (4 months ago)

Mom gets so mad when we do stuff like that to her. She thinks she has the ideal item and we totally blow it off. I think we would have played with the carrot, though, because of the food element.
    Emma recently posted…Thievery Attempt At WoofstockMy Profile

2. Kelley
    August 11, 2014 at 7:19 am (4 months ago)

Jedi’s that way about Kongs. KONGS! They’ll entertain him for a whole 3 minutes and then . . . meh.
    Kelley recently posted…Freaks on the BeachMy Profile

August 11, 2014 at 7:22 am (4 months ago)

Brilliant, I love that you have ended up buying a new toy to keep you out of trouble ;0) Leroy has you very well trained!!
    Lauranne recently posted…#WorldCatDay with @careforthewildMy Profile

4. Leo Grady and Mom
    August 11, 2014 at 8:36 am (4 months ago)

Thanks Jen. I so needed a smile this morning and this helped so much.

5. Miley
    August 11, 2014 at 8:39 am (4 months ago)

Way to go, Leroy! Make the humans do all the work while you get all the pleasure! Very cool carrot indeed! Enjoy!!
    Miley recently posted…Chewing Up the GardenMy Profile

August 11, 2014 at 9:08 am (4 months ago)

BOL…Luckily Jack LOVES these kind of toys, but Maggie is like Leroy…if you hold it for me, I’ll play, but otherwise she has little interest. The only ones she’ll do are ones she can roll around with her nose and the treats fall out.
    slimdoggy recently posted…Tino at Big BearMy Profile

7. Mary
    August 11, 2014 at 9:22 am (4 months ago)

LOL…The best layed plans and all that.
    Mary recently posted…Meeting friendsMy Profile

August 11, 2014 at 10:07 am (4 months ago)

Although they didn’t seem to grasp the concept you had in mind, :-) at least you were able to understand the concept of companionship that Leroy had in mind. It does show that humans are able to learn from dogs faster than they learn from us.

Or something like that.
    jan recently posted…Where does your money go when you support animal rights groups?My Profile

9. CATHY BENNETT
    August 11, 2014 at 11:16 am (4 months ago)

Sherman and Harley have a lot in common. Harley isn’t really interested in anything stuffed. Not at all…
    CATHY BENNETT recently posted…S’MORES | MONDAY MISCHIEFMy Profile

10. Blueberry's human
    August 11, 2014 at 12:07 pm (4 months ago)

Ahahahaha!! This is something similar that happens when I give Blueberry a Kong. For whatever reason – she refuses to use her paws and instead, licks the Kong around the room. Then she comes to stare at me until I get the Kong and hold it for her so she can get the rest of the stuff out. So much for it not being an interactive toy. You are right, stupid carrot. ;)
    Blueberry’s human recently posted…What Is It?My Profile

11. Fiona
    August 11, 2014 at 12:36 pm (4 months ago)

Ah… both of my dogs do the same to 99% of the toys I give them. LOL.
    It’s the toys they CAN’T have that they love the best. Ripping up leaves and eating twigs.
    Fiona recently posted…Harness/collars for pulling on the leash?My Profile

August 11, 2014 at 2:58 pm (4 months ago)

I take it you don’t plan to get another one? Do they make other veggies that don’t roll? LOL. I thought that was a real carrot for a second, and you were messing with us about buying a carrot for your dogs.
    Jan K recently posted…Monday Mischief – Oh, Deer!My Profile

13. Marquie
    August 11, 2014 at 3:30 pm (4 months ago)

I’m laughing so hard at this! Lassie use to try this trick on me, but I usually told him to either quit being lazy or let Petal have it. He always chose to stop being lazy. ;) I guess this wouldn’t have worked on Leroy though since Sherman wasn’t interested. Bummer!
    Marquie recently posted…Writing Loved By A CollieMy Profile

August 11, 2014 at 3:58 pm (4 months ago)

You just never know what they are going to like. Little Kilo is quite the picky pug.

15. Sue
    August 11, 2014 at 4:21 pm (4 months ago)

LOL. You’re not alone. Not one of the three of mine like stuffed Kongs unless the “stuffing” is peanut butter or little dog treats!
    Sue recently posted…Rudy the Retriever | Monday MischiefMy Profile

16. TXpups
    August 11, 2014 at 4:56 pm (4 months ago)

BOL! Maybe try some peanut butter? Our pups usually forget or leave their toys somewhere, then pick them up days later and play with them for 5 minutes.

17. Bongo
    August 12, 2014 at 12:37 am (4 months ago)

I’ll take the carrot. I would totally get all the treats out and ask for more.
    Bongo recently posted…Famous GizmoMy Profile

18. Beth
    August 12, 2014 at 9:57 pm (4 months ago)

It is nice to know that I’m not the only one who gets really excited about new stuff for my dogs. I am baffled that Sherman wanted nothing to do with it, but it makes sense that Leroy would make you hold it for him. He’s a master manipulator.
    Beth recently posted…Puppy Love: NalaMy Profile

19. Tara
    August 17, 2014 at 11:02 am (4 months ago)

Hahaha! I love how you tell stories! My Roxie (Cairn Terrier) was apathetic about a toy I made for her. I stuffed a holee ball with strips of fabric for her to tear apart because she loves pulling stuffing out of toys. I was so freaking excited to watch her go nuts with it. But nope. She didn’t and still doesn’t really understand it. Sigh.
    Tara recently posted…Lake Baldwin Dog ParkMy Profile

20. Monika & Sam
    August 24, 2014 at 3:26 pm (4 months ago)

Nice to know other dogs aren’t into ‘toys’ either. Sam just looks at them with that “as if” look on his face. The only thing he does get is squeaker-type toys but only long enough to kill it by ripping out the eyes and stuffing in less than 2 minutes. Sigh. And forget putting fruit or yogurt into a Kong toy; I think he’d rather set his fur on fire than eat any thing like that. :)
    Monika & Sam recently posted…Hot Dog!!My Profile