When you have a double coated breed or multiple dogs that shed in one household, you’re going to need a good vacuum cleaner. A vacuum cleaner that is capable of picking up massive amounts of pet hair and dander on a daily basis. A vacuum cleaner that won’t clog easily and has an extended life of amazing suction power. It has to be worthy and it has to last more than 3 months.
My vacuum cleaner recently went to vacuum cleaner heaven so I’m in search of a new one. I had an idea of what I wanted but before making such an important purchase I decided to go to go straight to the experts, the owners of the hairiest, heavy shedding dogs around and here’s their picks for best vacuum cleaners for pet hair:
- Dyson Animal. The Dyson Animal Vacuum was the clear favorite among owners with heavy shedding dogs but there was also people who said that they weren’t fans of it. The Dyson Ball Animal has the highest geometric average when carpet, hard floor and creviced hard floor pick-up results are combined. Tested against the upright market, dust-loaded. Dyson Ball Animal comes with the Tangle-free Turbine tool, so you can remove dirt and hair from confined spaces, without it tangling around a brush bar. The Dyson Stick was also mentioned as a favorite. Check it out on Amazon.
- Shark. There wasn’t a specific model mentioned here but I’ve been looking at the Shark Rocket Powerhead series so here’s the scoop on that one: The Shark Powerhead weighs 9 pounds and 1 pound in your hand when vacuuming. The All Surface Brushroll goes from carpets to hard floors with ease and delivers outstanding everyday cleaning. When cleaning just hard floors, use the easily interchangeable Gentle Touch Hard Floor brushroll. It’s gentle, yet provides deep floor engagement when combined with Shark’s intense suction. Sold on Amazon.
- Miele. I’ve never heard of Miele so I was interested to check this one out. They have several different styles of upright vacuums but I focused my attention on the Miele Dynamic U1 Cat & Dog. Miele’s dynamic u1 cat & dog vacuum features a unique electro brush that follows the contours of your floor, automatically adjusting for different carpet depths and surface coverings – providing even, consistent suction and gentle cleaning. The cat & dog features Miele’s AirClean sealed system, comprised of an AirClean Filter Bag and active air clean filter that captures and retains 99.9+% of dirt, dust and allergens. The active air clean filter has active charcoal layers to neutralize and absorb unwanted pet odors. In addition to the standard included accessories – a dusting brush, upholstery tool and crevice nozzle – the cat & dog features a mini turbo brush that easily removes pet hair from furnishings. Other conveniences include an led headlight. Sold on Amazon.
- Rainbow. Another product I’ve never heard but it looks super interesting! Rainbow products use Mother Nature’s most powerful element, water, to trap dirt and odors, returning only naturally clean, water-washed air to your home environment. This unique water filtration system captures typical household dirt, while remaining microscopic particles are caught by our HEPA Neutralizer Filtration System. This two-stage filtration combination removes nearly 100% of dirt and contaminants from your home. The Rainbow Vaccum Cleaner Pet Edition: With regular upright bag vacuums, dust particles escape through the pinpoint size holes in the bags. The water canister that sits under the Rainbow actually traps dirt, dust, etc. in the water as you vacuum. You actually see the water getting darker and darker. You can vacuum everyday with a regular bag vacuum cleaner and still not get your carpet as clean as you can with one pass of the Rainbow! The Rainbow is certified asthma & allergy friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. I saw a rebuilt one on Amazon. That’s a little out of my price range but it looks like a worthwhile investment if you have the spare change. I’m not sure if the are sold cheaper somewhere else. Rainbow also states on their site that only an Authorized Rainbow Distributor/Dealer can sell and support an authentic Rainbow, so buyer beware.
- Sebo. I checked out the Felix model. The stylish Felix offers all the flexibility of a canister vacuum in an upright configuration! It has a “flex” neck with amazing 180° steering ability, an ultra-modern filtration system, a detachable suction unit that becomes a hand-held vacuum, and an instant-use suction hose. The power head deep cleans carpets, or its spinning brush roller can be shut off to clean delicate rugs and hard floors with straight suction. The Felix also has a parquet brush, which is perfectly designed for cleaning hard floors. It also has easy brush roller removal, and an orange warning light illuminates when brush height is set too high for optimal cleaning, the bristles are worn, or automatic shut-off occurs due to a brush obstruction. Sold on Amazon.
- Robot Roomba. I didn’t think it was possible that a little vacuum cleaner like this could handle the hair BUT many owners of heavy shedders said, YES IT CAN! The Roomba 770 Vacuum Cleaning Robot provides a concentrated clean, all at the push of a button. The 3-Stage Cleaning System with Dirt Detect Series II identifies dirtier areas in your home and focuses cleaning, ensuring Roomba tackles even fine pet hair, dust and dirt. Just press ‘Clean’ or schedule Roomba to run up to 7x per week. Roomba works on all floor types, and at just 3.6 inch tall, is specifically designed to fit under most furniture, beds and kickboards. Sold on Amazon.
- Oreck. Pet owners weren’t specific as to what model they had so I went with a pet model. Oreck Ultimate Handheld Bagged Canister Vacuum Bundle With Handheld Pet Hair Turbo Brush features multiple accessory tools for a variety of cleaning needs. Includes 60″ Slinky hose, telescoping extension wand, dusting brush, upholstery tool, crevice tool and large floor tool for hard floor surfaces. Plus Bonus Handheld Turbo Brush – Great for pet hair, carpet on steps and more. Lightweight – weighs about 5lbs making vacuuming effortless by being so lightweight. Powerful motor delivers suction right where you need it most.Installed HEPA filter helps keep dust and dirt from escaping from the vacuum as you clean. Sold on Amazon.
That’s the list of best vacuum cleaners on the market created just by you, the experts in pet hair! Thank you to all those who helped create the list. I didn’t go shopping around for prices, I just went to my favorite place to shop, Amazon, so there might be better deals out there. If you find one let us know! And if you have a vacuum cleaner that you love for sucking up pet hair that isn’t on the list, let us know about it in the comments below!
**Disclosure-This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your continued support.