As promised, here is the update on Leroy’s re-check appointment for his IBD.
Back in February Leroy started having a mild IBD flare-up. After speaking with the vet via phone, since Leroy didn’t appear to be overly sick, we decided to start him on his regular medication routine for IBD and check his levels the following month to see how he was doing.
By the time the appointment came around Leroy’s flare-up seemed to be on the upswing. He was eating, his stools were back to normal and his weight was ideal. The only thing that was off was his albumin (protein) which was at 1.7 (normal is 2.6). The vet felt that this was a good sign for Leroy because there wasn’t any evidence of fluid build-up and he felt the albumin was on the rise.
The game plan was to stay the course and re-check in about 6 weeks.
Everything was going fine and then it wasn’t.
When Leroy is in the midst of an IBD flare-up I watch him like a hawk. He was doing great, eating, awesome formed stools, good attitude. I was looking forward to the re-check appointment and see that his levels were up.
Then Thursday happened.
He didn’t eat all his and at first stared at it like it was foreign.
Then he went outside and had explosive diarrhea.
He was lethargic and struggling to get up.
The vet appointment the next day would reveal that his albumin level had dropped to 1.5.
It was a disappointing result to say the least and I’m struggling to stay positive this time.
Right now Leroy’s back up to his full dose of steroids and we’ll be re-checking his levels in 2 weeks.
If he goes any lower the vet said he’ll be getting into the critical area and that he may need to be hospitalized.
Leroy’s currently doing o.k.
He’s not great but he’s been worse. He’s eating and that’s good.
I can tell that his body is tired but I can also tell that he still has the fight left in him.
In addition, he has a tumor on his right eyelid. This is a different tumor than the skin tag that he had under the same eye which just fell off one day. A few people have asked me about the tumor since it’s visible in some pictures. The tumor is not going anywhere right so you’ll continue to see it.
The vet took a good look at it on Friday and he’s not super concerned about it.
In his words, “That’s the least of Leroy’s concerns right now.”
Unless the tumor miraculously falls off one day, it needs to be surgically removed and Leroy’s body can’t handle surgery anytime soon. The vet did do a corneal eye stain to make sure that it’s not rubbing against his eye and causing any ulcers and thankfully it’s not.
We are putting eye drops in his to eye see if it brings down any of the inflammation.
So that’s all I got for you. Right now I’m feeling defeated by this disease.
Thank you to everyone who sent positive thoughts. I know they help.
I’ll make sure to update you all after the next visit.