#PetHairSolutions That Keep My Home From Being Consumed By Dog Hair

As I mentioned in our post on Wednesday Sherman and Leroy are just beginning to blow their winter coats. This isn’t a surprise and it happens twice a year every year and every year, we survive the fur explosion that consumes our house for a few weeks and try to have a little fun with it.

Being a double coated breed it’s super important that Newfoundlands blow their thick winter undercoat so that they can comfortably make it through the summer months and as person who wants their dogs to be comfortable, I do all I can to assist their undercoats to fall out in timely manner.

This year it seems like the boy’s undercoats decided to blow out a little earlier than normal, or maybe it was just the crummy weather that we’ve been having that made it seem that way. Either way, I was glad that I had decided to use the FURminator® deShedding tool this year to help us out.

FURminatorLogo

The FURminator® deShedding tool has a special edge that is designed to make grooming pets faster and it can reduce shedding up to 90%. The deShedding tool can be used on most long and short-haired pets and it is recommended to be used  1-2 times a week for 10 to 20 minutes each session. Of course, for dogs who tend to shed heavier at certain times of the year, such as Sherman and Leroy, the deshedding tool may need to be used a bit more.

So, here’s the deal:

I put the FURminator® to the test this week for the first time ever.

I started on Sunday and ended on Thursday. I used the deShedding tool for 20-30 minutes, maybe longer on Wednesday because I couldn’t stop myself.

So what did I think?

I liked it. No I loved it and here are 3 reasons why I LOVE my FURminator deShedding tool:

1. It really got the undercoat out in a shorter amount of time than I am use to and I knew it was getting the undercoat and not the top coat. The deShedding edge reached beneath Sherman and Leroy’s long topcoat and removed the undercoat and did not strip or cut the hair.

Believe me.

I looked.

I’ve worked long and hard on the coats of these dogs and the last thing I want is for the top coat to be stripped, so after the first few strokes that I did, I made sure to examine the hair that was removed and it was not cut of stripped.

2. FURminator® deShedding tools come in a variety of sizes and styles for all different types of dogs. We are using the Giant Long Haired Dog deShedding Tool and it was a great size for Sherman and Leroy and was very easy on my wrists, which is a huge plus when you do as much grooming as I do.

3. The FURejector® button. This might be silly to some but this feature was awesome. Instead of pulling the hair off of the tool all you have to do is hit the button and the hair falls off! Time saver and super cool, but I have to admit that it took me a few times to remember that I could do this.

This is where I was going to show you a picture of all the hair that I saved this week but yesterday it was super windy outside and all the dog hair basically got blown over all my yard when I took it out of the bag so, unfortunately, you’ll have to settle with this picture of me trying to stop it from blowing away.

IMG_15211

Want to know more about this totally awesome deShedding tool by FURminator®? Check them out here:

This post is sponsored by FURminator®. I am being compensated for helping spread the word about FURminator®, but My Brown Newfies only shares information we feel is relevant to our readers. FURminator® is not responsible for the content of this article.

27 Comments on #PetHairSolutions That Keep My Home From Being Consumed By Dog Hair

1. Vlad & Barkly's Dee
    April 11, 2014 at 1:14 am (4 months ago)

We also started using Furminator’s deShedding Ultra Premium Dog Shampoo, and Conditioner, on Barkly. I DO think it helps some with being able to control “the blow”. Have you tried any of their shampoos or conditioners? A plus is it smells nice and clean and not perfumy.

April 11, 2014 at 11:27 am (4 months ago)

I have not tried any of their shampoos or conditioners, but I just used the last of my shampoo yesterday on Leroy so I will take a look! Thanks for sharing!

April 11, 2014 at 5:28 am (4 months ago)

That is an awful lot of hair – suddenly the stuff that comes out of BD looks tiny!
    Lauranne recently posted…not good enoughMy Profile

April 11, 2014 at 11:26 am (4 months ago)

Hi Sue,

From my experience, it does not pull. It glided very easily through Sherman’s coat and he was snoring away while I was doing it so it didn’t seem to be causing him any discomfort. I usually use grooming spray before I brush to help with any snarls that might be present.

3. Kelsie
    April 11, 2014 at 9:02 am (4 months ago)

I get a similar picture when my pyrs blow their coat! I’m really glad that it worked so well for your newfies. We originally got a furminator for our lab/husky X and it worked WONDERS. I was very pleased with it! However, when I got one to use on our pyrs it just ripped their top coat and left the undercoat intact. I do love their shampoos for my pyrs though!
    Kelsie recently posted…Yeah, I’ll Dig ThatMy Profile

April 11, 2014 at 1:14 pm (4 months ago)

Wow. That’s interesting Kelsie. I was watching very closely when I was using it on Sherman and it was leaving the top coat intact and just taking out the undercoat. Were you using the one for giant breed dogs?

I didn’t know they carried shampoos, I’ll have to check that out!

4. stella rose
    April 11, 2014 at 10:37 am (4 months ago)

We have used the furminator for four years now, ever since I moved into the house. We loves it also. Pugs sheds a lot also for a little doggie.
    stella rose

5. Nancy
    April 11, 2014 at 11:42 am (4 months ago)

Hi Jen,

Has your sister ever spun up any dog hair for you? Blended with wool, it makes a soft, fluffy yarn with a “halo” similar to angora! Perfect for fuzzy mittens/scarf/hat etc…

April 11, 2014 at 1:10 pm (4 months ago)

No, but we talk about it all the time! One of these days we will do it! We are going to get her going on her farm this year. She has so much gorgeous wool that she could sell and do things with!

6. Kellee
    April 11, 2014 at 12:56 pm (4 months ago)

I love my furminator soooo much!

April 11, 2014 at 1:43 pm (4 months ago)

We love our Furminator and so does mom
    Lily & Edward

April 11, 2014 at 5:34 pm (4 months ago)

I could not live without my FURminator! I don’t have the fancy push button. : ( It is a must for Bentley. The boy sheds all year long. I knew that you’d love it with your Newfies and their double coat! It worked great on my Golden when he blew his coat.
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Heartworms Cause HeartbreakMy Profile

April 11, 2014 at 8:49 pm (4 months ago)

I know we have a lot of hair at our house, but yours puts us to shame! I agree, the tool is so easy and handy to use. We have really been happy with it for both the Greyhounds and the GSDs.
    houndstooth recently posted…Black Greyhounds Need Homes TooMy Profile

10. KB
    April 12, 2014 at 10:08 pm (4 months ago)

That’s a lot of fur, an entire dog’s worth!!! Funny, the furminator didn’t work well on my dogs (perhaps because their coats are different from Newfy coats) so I gave it away.
    KB recently posted…A Labraduo that makes me smileMy Profile

April 13, 2014 at 6:48 pm (4 months ago)

Oh, the fur!! You make the golden retriever fur around here look so mild! I’m glad to see they added the FurRejector button to this. That is one thing I love about the slicker brush that I have. I have used a furminator on the beagles and it worked great to just get their undercoat out.
    Jan K recently posted…Sepia Saturday – Silly ShebaMy Profile

12. Patty
    April 15, 2014 at 11:54 am (4 months ago)

I borrowed one from a friend for a few weeks and wow love it! With two labs, the amount of hair being deposited on the ground daily is insane :-P Need to pick up my own fulminator asap!
    Patty recently posted…Almost a yearMy Profile

April 18, 2014 at 1:56 pm (3 months ago)

Considering the fact that I have 4 SHORT haired dogs, I have a over abundance of dog hair/fur all over my house. It’s CRAZY how much my (did I mention SHORT haired) dogs shed!
    Nichole recently posted…Do These Ears Make My Butt Look Big?My Profile