Happy 6th Birthday Leroy

Grey2[2]

Six years ago this little ball of fluff was born and a few months later graced us with his awesomeness and changed our lives forever.

I knew he was going to be trouble the first time our eyes met and he has not let me down yet and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Leroy and I have definitely butted heads over the last 6 years and our bond took some time to become solid, but with a little bit of understanding, patience and a whole lot of snuggle time we got there and I’m confident now that even though sometimes his looks could kill and he still occasionally tries to knock me out, he loves me.

He really, really loves me.

I always tell my husband that Leroy’s that once in a lifetime kind of dog. Sometimes I look at him and I know there will never be a dog in my life that will ever come close to being like him.

And that’s o.k.

I can only handle one Leroy in a lifetime.

This birthday seems extra special to me because he’s had such a tough year and I can honestly say that there was more than one time in the last 5 months where I questioned if he would make it to this day.

I’ve never bought a birthday cake for a dog but this year I was seriously considering one for Leroy. I ultimately decided against it because right now Leroy is doing great and I don’t want to throw anything off.

His edema is 95% gone, only a very amount remains on his right ear and his diarrhea has turned to nice gloriously formed regular dog poop and it seems as though the yogurt is cooperating with his system.

We did have a scary incident last weekend, that was not related to his previous medical issues and involved a probable pinched nerve in his neck, and then yet another incident this weekend which was a total freak thing that probably has only ever happened to Leroy and deserves its own blog post.

He’s fine.

I promise, but putting him in bubble has definitely been thought of.

So anyway, I just wanted to keep his birthday special but low key so instead of a birthday cake I made some frozen pupsicles with yogurt, blueberries, strawberries and a little bit of coconut oil.

Of course I bought him some new toys and I even got him some doggie beer (just one bottle)….. because if any dog deserves a beer on his birthday, it’s Leroy.

I haven’t given him his birthday prizes or pupsicles yet because I’m writing this post Sunday night so I’ll be sure to snap a few pics and share them around.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEROY.

Thanks for making me laugh and for making me cry.

My birthday wish for you is that the next year is smoother for you big guy.

44 Comments on Happy 6th Birthday Leroy

1. Linda Moore
    June 30, 2014 at 1:49 am (3 months ago)

Leroy certainly is a one off a kind, once in a lifetime dog.
    May he have many many more great birthdays (some with cake) and be in GREAT health!

2. tylersat99
    June 30, 2014 at 1:51 am (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday Leroy, I hope next year is a lot more fun for all of you:-)
    tylersat99 recently posted…Black and White SundayMy Profile

3. Bailey
    June 30, 2014 at 7:25 am (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday Leroy. Hope it is a wonderful day for you and your family. I also hope next year is a healthier year for you.
    Bailey recently posted…Trying Out CrochetMy Profile

4. 2browndawgs
    June 30, 2014 at 8:03 am (3 months ago)

Happy birthday Leroy. I know what a tough year this has been. On to the next and better health!
    2browndawgs recently posted…Hot Summer DayMy Profile

5. retro rover
    June 30, 2014 at 8:13 am (3 months ago)

happy happy birthday! Im so happy to hear you are doing better. You might be a once in a life time dog but you certainly have a one in a million mom

retro rover
    retro rover recently posted…Norbert in NyackMy Profile

6. Beth
    June 30, 2014 at 9:22 am (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday to Leroy! He has definitely had quite the year! Wishing him happiness and good health!
    Beth recently posted…Fetching!My Profile

7. beth
    June 30, 2014 at 9:29 am (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday ya big furball . I was going to say cute hat but then saw you were trying to play duckie with it so if Jen is going to make you wait for the gifts you might as well play with the hat good idea my friend. May this new year bring you health and a wealth of new adventures with Sherman Mom Dad and brofur and sissy too

8. Bunk
    June 30, 2014 at 9:42 am (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday, Leroy!:) I remember the first time my parents we’re looking at pictures of Newfoundlands and came across YOU! They stared, for like half an hour. I’m so lucky to have you as a friend and wish you and your family many years of happiness!

Love,

Bunk
    Bunk recently posted…Pug Deep in ThoughtMy Profile

June 30, 2014 at 10:54 pm (3 months ago)

Awwww! That is the sweetest thing ever! Thank you Bunk!

9. Diana Stoll
    June 30, 2014 at 10:06 am (3 months ago)

Very best wishes to you, Leroy! Happy birthday!

June 30, 2014 at 10:23 am (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday Leroy!!
    Lily & Edward

11. Dawn
    June 30, 2014 at 10:59 am (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday, Leroy!!! BTW, I love your comment, “I can only handle one Leroy in a lifetime.” :D I’ve said the same about my Maya, especially in her younger years.
    Dawn recently posted…The Rein Coat for Dogs is More Than It SeemsMy Profile

June 30, 2014 at 11:52 am (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday! You were such an adorable pup.

13. teri
    June 30, 2014 at 12:04 pm (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday big guy! Best wishes for many more happy days, Leroy!!

June 30, 2014 at 1:21 pm (3 months ago)

Happy 6th birthday Leroy!! I hope that you can stay out of the vet’s office this year. You were an adorable puppy and such a handsome man now! Love and kisses on your special day! ♥♥♥
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…National Camera DayMy Profile

June 30, 2014 at 4:24 pm (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday, Leroy! What a little cutie he was, that grew into such a big cutie! I also hope the next year brings him healthier days, and less stress for you as well!
    Jan K recently posted…Busted!! Cat Mischief!!My Profile

June 30, 2014 at 6:04 pm (3 months ago)

Enjoy you big day big guy! You are one special dog to so many of us. We are all glad you are feeling better. I raise my glass to you. Hope your beer and pupsicles were delish. <3

June 30, 2014 at 6:53 pm (3 months ago)

A great big happy birthday for a great big guy. I know it’s been a tough year, so I hope you enjoyed that doggie beer. Here’s to a better year 7!
    slimdoggy recently posted…Sally Mischief in Griffith ParkMy Profile

June 30, 2014 at 7:54 pm (3 months ago)

Happy birthday, Leroy! I want a beer for his birthday. Did y’all determine that the diarrhea was lactose? I’m so glad he’s doing so much better!
    Flea recently posted…Dogs Kissing, FBM 78My Profile

19. Zach
    July 2, 2014 at 3:33 pm (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday Leroy! Still my favorite football player :)

20. Maggie
    July 2, 2014 at 4:29 pm (3 months ago)

Awww! Happy (belated) birthday, Leroy! So gorgeous in his birthday hat!! And I’m thrilled to hear that his health is on an upswing. Been thinking about you guys!
    Maggie recently posted…Wordless Wednesday: Putting on the ritzMy Profile

21. Kevin
    July 3, 2014 at 1:20 pm (3 months ago)

Happy Birthday Leroy! You are such a handsome and special boy and I am glad to hear that you are feeling better. Hope you enjoyed your birthday treats and try to not give mom any more scares this year!
    Kevin recently posted…Awestruck with Pawstruck – GIVEAWAY!!My Profile

July 8, 2014 at 3:17 pm (3 months ago)

I’m sure you made Leroy’s birthday special. I loved this post and I’ll tell you why. Sampson is that once in lifetime dog for me and while he doesn’t challenge me in the same way that Leroy challenges you (that’s Delilah’s job) he makes me a better person, because he believes I am. I hope I can live up to his image of me.
    Jodi recently posted…Determination Can Find a WayMy Profile