Berry Cool Dog Popsicles

Instead of making Leroy a cake for his birthday last week I mentioned that I made some berry popsicles as a special treat.

They were a big hit so I thought I would share the recipe with you in case you are looking for a super simple cool treat for your dog this summer.

You only need 4 ingredients, one of which is a secret ingredient!

1. Blueberries
  2. Strawberries
  3. Plain, all natural, nonfat yogurt
  4. Coconut oil <—Secret ingredient!

Honestly, I didn’t measure it out.

I just threw some plain nonfat yogurt in a bowl with some frozen strawberries and blueberries and mixed it all up. It was probably about 16 oz of yogurt and about a cup of frozen berries. I added about a tablespoon of coconut oil and scooped it into popsicle molds.

Of course you can always use fresh berries, but my strawberry and blueberry plants are not producing any fruits this year so I had to use frozen berries.

Put them in the freezer for a few hours and out comes a super fun and healthy summer treat!

* Word of Caution* If you have a dog like Leroy who has absolutely no manners, you might want to skip using a popsicle mold that has a stick and just freeze some of the mixture in a plastic bowl or you might wind up fighting your dog to a near death for the popsicle stick.

16 Comments on Berry Cool Dog Popsicles

July 11, 2014 at 11:52 am (4 months ago)

I almost used coconut oil for the ones I made for the dogs last week! Now I’m going to make another batch so I can use the coconut oil!
    houndstooth recently posted…Puppy Power {Of Amnesia}My Profile

July 11, 2014 at 11:52 am (4 months ago)

houndstooth recently posted…Puppy Power {Of Amnesia}My Profile

3. Christine & Riley
    July 11, 2014 at 11:57 am (4 months ago)

Oh those look great! We’ll definitely have to put that into out recipe book! Yum, yum.

4. Blueberry's human
    July 11, 2014 at 12:15 pm (4 months ago)

Ha – thank goodness I’m not the only one that doesn’t measure ingredients!

These actually sound pretty great – I may have to give them a try this weekend – thanks for the recipe!
    Blueberry’s human recently posted…Final NoticeMy Profile

July 11, 2014 at 12:24 pm (4 months ago)

Those sound good enough to share with the humans! Yum!
    Nichole recently posted…Critter PatrolMy Profile

July 11, 2014 at 12:52 pm (4 months ago)

Hahaha! I would definitely have to fight for the stick. Bentley throws any treat that is right out of freezer back up, so I have to freeze them and then set them in the fridge for a few hours. It never used to bother him. A vet on the BlogPaws Twitter chat recommended letting it warm a bit and it works great. Leroy looks like a big kid with his pupsicle!
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Writers Blog Post TourMy Profile

July 11, 2014 at 1:33 pm (4 months ago)

I just got a big jar of coconut oil and was going to Google how to share it with my dogs. Thanks for the wonderful summertime treat idea. I think we will skip the sticks though. One of my dogs thinks she is a beaver.
    jan recently posted…Think Like Your Dog – A book reviewMy Profile

July 11, 2014 at 2:59 pm (4 months ago)

I think Mom needs to buy coconut oil. We make them but she uses honey or real maple syrup for flavor. Coconut sounds real good.
    Emma recently posted…K9 Kamp In Our BackyardMy Profile

9. A Spaniel's Tail
    July 11, 2014 at 3:16 pm (4 months ago)

Hoomans thinking of making these for herself, let alone me! She would never thought of coconut oil. Awesome Newfie photo too :-)

10. Ruby
    July 11, 2014 at 8:19 pm (4 months ago)

Oh yeah!!!! That is some drooly good treaties!!! And Leroy, I would fight for the stick too…just sayin’
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥
    Ruby recently posted…Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

July 13, 2014 at 4:33 pm (4 months ago)

What a tasty looking treat, thanks for sharing. I will try it with the stick, because Harley is so lazy he’ll let someone hold it for him – BOL
    Cathy Bennett recently posted…WHEN YOU’VE BEEN BLESSEDMy Profile

July 14, 2014 at 6:10 am (4 months ago)

if you don’t have coconut oil would olive oil be ok instead?
    Lauranne recently posted…I will be backMy Profile

13. 2browndawgs
    July 14, 2014 at 8:57 pm (4 months ago)

I like your method of measuring! Those sound really yummy. I should have added coconut oil to the ones I made over the 4th.
    2browndawgs recently posted…Making The SwitchMy Profile