I’ve been putting off finding a new vet for the last month.
I’ve been thinking about it a lot over the past month or so and luckily I haven’t needed to use one, yet. So I thought I better be proactive before I’m forced to find one.
Sherman has his holistic vet and his orthopedic vet for issues that we are dealing with now but he needs a general vet too and so does Leroy.
One thing I want to do is when looking for a new vet is make sure that they fit our needs. Our last vet was good, but their was a lot of times that I felt that maybe that one wasn’t for us, and what I mean by that is that I’m a needy person with loads of questions and concerns with my giant breed dogs. So I want someone who knows giant breed dogs, especially the Newfoundland breed, and knows it well.
That’s just one thing I’m looking for and here’s a list of more qualifications that I would like to have for our new vet:
- Is familiar with giant breed dogs
- Is familiar with Newfoundlands
- Has more than my Newfoundlands as patients in their practice
- Is open to holistic medicine
- Is current in veterinarian medicine and open to new ideas
- Has current veteririnarian medication and equipment
- Has time to listen and get to know me and my dogs
- Is honest and doesn’t tell me what they think I want to hear
- Looks me in the eye when they are talking.
- How busy are they? Can they accommodate my dogs and their needs
- Is familair in dealing with responisble breeders. I don’t want to deal with a vet that doesn’t respect the responsib;e breeder.
- Is close to home. I don;t want to be driving for an hour for a quick appointment
I suppose that my list can go on and on but these are some of the more important things that I’m looking for with searching for a new vet for Sherman and Leroy. I’m pretty sure I’ve gotten my options narrowed down to a few select pet vets that might meet my criteria and all in good time I’ll be making the call to set up a visit to meet the chosen one:)
So how about you? How did you choose your pets vet? Any suggestions that you would like to share?
**This is a sponsored post and I am being compensated for writing about pet vets. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine only and I really am looking for a new vet).