Trying To Catch A Dog’s Urine Sample In The Snow Is Not Easy

Last week I had to try and catch a urine sample from Leroy so that I could take it in to the vet and see if his UTI had cleared up.

I had my suspicions that it had not, so I wanted to catch a sample and get to the vet before the weekend.

I’ve talked before about how catching a urine sample from a dog can be tricky if you’re not quite sure how to go about it, but once you know the rules, it’s easy peasy.

Yeah, well….all that goes out the window when you need to catch a urine sample on your dog in a few feet of snow, especially when that dog is Leroy, who is a bi-urinator.

If you’re not familiar with a bi-urinator, it’s probably because I made that word up, but in my world a bi-urinator is a dog that can urinate in 2 ways.

1. By lifting a leg
  2. By squatting

There’s really nothing wrong with a bi-urinator dog except when you need to catch a urine on that dog in the snow and have no idea what position they are going to take when you are trying to catch that said urine.

The ideal thing you want from a bi-urinator in the snow is for them to lift their leg because that gives you the best odds of catching a urine sample that is not full of a pile of snow, which will dilute the urine and quite possibly give a false urine result.

When a squatter squats and you go to catch the urine in a bowl the chances of you scooping in some snow are very high.

I’m sure you can see where this is going.

While Leroy is probably about a 70% leg lifter and a 30% squatter in regular life, apparently, he is a 100%  squatter when I am following him around in the snow with a bowl.

I know he was doing it on purpose because it was extremely cold and I didn’t have gloves on because I didn’t want to get pee on them and every time he squatted I would tell him no and he would look at me and smile.

We did this for 30 minutes until I finally wised up and put him inside and brought Sherman out and had him pee on a tree. Then, when I let Leroy back out he had no choice but to lift his leg and pee on that same tree.

Victory.

It’s mine.

39 Comments on Trying To Catch A Dog’s Urine Sample In The Snow Is Not Easy

March 3, 2014 at 2:46 am (6 months ago)

Bentley is strictly a squatter but Pierre is a bi-urinator! I can’t imagine trying to catch either. They are both so low to the ground. Your solution was brilliant!
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Happy B & W JonquilsMy Profile

2. Vlad & Barkly's Dee
    March 3, 2014 at 4:08 am (6 months ago)

Vlad’s definitely a bi-urinator. Barkly, well with his short Corgi legs, even though he always lifts a leg, it really doesn’t look like he’s lifting anything half the time. I’ve found using an industrial, stainless steel soup ladle is the easiest way to get a clean catch for me. The long handle makes it a lot easier to reach that area without scooping up anything else, and it seems to bother them less than me trying to get a hand with a bowl or cup down there. I can’t bring myself to use that one for my original intention though. So I painted “Urine” in red on the handle & bought another one for serving food.

March 3, 2014 at 5:15 am (6 months ago)

Look at you thinking outside the box!! I was following Mity around for a sample on Sunday – every time I got close to him when he had lifted his leg he would stop look confused and sniff some more!

Thanks for the advice on Sat, turns out the problem was hair caught in the ‘shaft’ I am now having to administer drops, which is a fun experience!
    Lauranne recently posted…International Polar Bear DayMy Profile

4. Susan and the gang from LifeWithDogsAndCats.com
    March 3, 2014 at 6:20 am (6 months ago)

Your solution was brilliant!

I’ll have to remember it in case I ever have to do the same. Jasper is a bi-urinator. Tucker is a squatter. So is Lilah, but she’s a girl and it’s to be expected. Both boys love to pee wherever their sister goes. Lilah couldn’t care less.

–Woofs (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats.
    Susan and the gang from LifeWithDogsAndCats.com recently posted…Story: Dogs + Snow = Fun. Repeat.My Profile

5. Taryn
    March 3, 2014 at 7:26 am (6 months ago)

Catching a urine sample is definitely right up there in the mischief department! It’s really tough with a short-legged corgi, leg-lifting or not! LOL!

March 3, 2014 at 8:29 am (6 months ago)

My Human simply takes me in to the vet’s office and lets the vet tech get the sample. BOL!!!

Since Leroy and Sherman are the size of small ponies, let me tell you how they catch a urine sample from a horse…They take a stick, like a short broom handle and wire a metal cup on the end of it. (Your Hubby could probably rig one for you.) That way the catcher can stand up and, after the horse gets his stream going, stick the cup underneath.

Hawk aka BrownDog recently posted…Winter or Summer, Which is It?My Profile

7. emma
    March 3, 2014 at 8:36 am (6 months ago)

That would be a tough project! Very clever idea creating the over pee situation! So is the UTI gone after all that work for a sample?
    emma recently posted…Triple Mischief | GBGV | Monday MischiefMy Profile

March 3, 2014 at 11:10 am (6 months ago)

No, which means I will have to attempt this again in a few weeks ;)

8. Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady
    March 3, 2014 at 9:48 am (6 months ago)

Haha! Too funny!!!
    You won the battle though!
    Hope you enjoyed your weekend!
    ((Husky hugz))
    Frum our pack at love is being owned by a husky
    Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady recently posted…OMD! MondaysMy Profile

March 3, 2014 at 10:35 am (6 months ago)

I’d say you’re brilliant, but thirty minutes? Without gloves? Maybe you should win some kind of medal, though. ;)
    Flea recently posted…Fetch! Funny Bone Monday 63My Profile

March 3, 2014 at 10:48 am (6 months ago)

Jen you are crazy, and I’m your twin!!! Loved this post. I have one of each – a squatter and a leg-lifter. Haven’t had to “catch” a sample as of yet, but when I do, I certainly will think of you! Take care, and thanks for the smile this morning.
    Cathy Bennett recently posted…HAPPY BIRTHDAYMy Profile

March 3, 2014 at 11:06 am (6 months ago)

The lengths you with go for entertaining us Jen lol. Glad you had a Victory. I know how hard that can be with Leroy :) . Love those funky glasses too!

March 3, 2014 at 12:18 pm (6 months ago)

Glad that’s you and not me! lol My boys are both leg-lifters, but I know from experience that Shiver doesn’t like it when I hover over him when he’s trying to do his business. I can’t even imagine having to try and collect pee from him!

Hope Leroy is doing better now.
    sprinkles recently posted…Monday MemeMy Profile

March 3, 2014 at 3:25 pm (6 months ago)

Hahahaha, Sampson is a bi-urinator too!! I was going to suggest the same thing Vlad and Barkley’s Dee did. A soup ladle. Of course, she is super wise to mark it. :-)

I can picture you out in the snow trying to catch his pee.
    Jodi recently posted…Picking Up Poop is DangerousMy Profile

14. Blueberry's human
    March 3, 2014 at 3:47 pm (6 months ago)

I really think you should come up with an instructional booklet – complete with cartoon you and cartoon Leroy and Sherman – to illustrate for others exactly how all of this goes down. I realize I already commented, but this idea just sort of popped into my head.

Apparently, during lulls in my work day, I think about things like this…
    Blueberry’s human recently posted…Weekend Wrap UpMy Profile

15. Donna O.
    March 3, 2014 at 6:54 pm (6 months ago)

Wow…I never realized my dog was Bi. Now I know. :-)
    Great thinking by tricking him into marking. Sorry he messed with you for a half hour before that. LOL!
    Donna O. recently posted…Sniff School – Lesson FiveMy Profile

16. The OP Pack
    March 3, 2014 at 7:53 pm (6 months ago)

Great idea, Mom – AND we bet it was easier to catch because surely Leroy HAD to pee higher than Sherman:)

Woos – Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

17. thatjenk
    March 3, 2014 at 8:19 pm (6 months ago)

lol! Both Moses and Alma are bi-urinators, so I’m very glad to now have that word in my vocabulary! Moses 80% leg lifts, but will occasionally squat. Alma’s 50-50, which is incredibly lady-like.
    Luckily, I’ve never had to get a sample… hope that day never comes! Love how you outsmarted him, though!
    thatjenk recently posted…Wordless Wednesday 26: Dog Park DateMy Profile

18. 2browndawgs
    March 3, 2014 at 8:42 pm (6 months ago)

LOL smart thinking. But I am most impressed that you can get your dogs to abort the peeing once the position has been assumed. :)
    2browndawgs recently posted…Snow Covered ToysMy Profile

19. Jobi and Fisher
    March 4, 2014 at 11:15 am (6 months ago)

How fun it was to read about yet another talent Leroy has! Still laughing.

20. Yes I Know My Dogs Look Funny
    March 4, 2014 at 2:19 pm (6 months ago)

Somehow I don’t see your victory as being the end of this battle…maybe next time it won’t be so easy-pee peesy…
    Yes I Know My Dogs Look Funny recently posted…I Remember…My Profile

21. Julie Smith
    March 4, 2014 at 5:51 pm (6 months ago)

The things we do for our dogs…Taking a urine sample from a dog is enough work. Doing this in the snow…no way! I would have cleaned the snow around a tree, and then wait there until he lifted his leg or squatted…trees almost always work for leg-lifters.
    Julie Smith recently posted…Boo the DogMy Profile

22. alex white
    March 5, 2014 at 12:19 am (6 months ago)

aahh!!! Finally got the answer to this. I’d too been facing the same problem in getting his urine sample as he too is a bi-urinator. THANK YOU SO MUCH :D

23. snoopy@snoopysdogblog
    March 5, 2014 at 10:17 am (6 months ago)

Where there’s a will there’s a way! And there was me thinking you could just collect and defrost the snow! :)

Mum uses that trick on me when we have house guests and it’s time to do our last potty of the night, she takes them out first and they pee quickly and then of course I have to pee immediately on top when I go out! :)

Good luck with the results

Your pal Snoopy :)
    snoopy@snoopysdogblog recently posted…Monday Mischief – The early bird catches the worm! What worm?My Profile

24. KB
    March 5, 2014 at 11:14 pm (6 months ago)

Haha!!! Smart move!

Only our female dogs have had UTI issues, and I have a very flat wide container for “catching” urine. It works, even when they seem to squat so they are almost touching the ground.

Hope that the UTI is gone!
    KB recently posted…Wordless Wednesday: Happy Snow DayMy Profile

25. Kimberly Gauthier
    March 8, 2014 at 10:27 pm (6 months ago)

I have no idea how I would catch Rodrigo’s urine. He and Sydney don’t mark over each other. I think the one dog that I can figure out is Scout – he pees in the same spot daily and if he’s sleepy, he’ll be easy peazy. I hope I never have to capture a urine sample

So what were the results?
    Kimberly Gauthier recently posted…Buy a Keep the Tail Wagging Tee and Save a Dog’s LifeMy Profile